Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Thursday, August 08, 2024

Tropical Storm Debby in the Carolinas. From Raleigh ... Heavy Rain, Flooding & Tornado Warnings Pop UP Constantly. SC High Rain Totals... Messy Wxr Day in Carolinas into Virginia. Debby Will Have Impacted the WHOLE East Coast When All Is Said and Done!

 


As usual weather far out to the N ahead of her.
Debby moves slow ....
...but weather wise is impatient!


Officially in SC but weather NC
NC/SC border getting hit hard.



You see the red warning area.
I see all the towns I know so well....
...that I go thru on the way to Wilmington.

Cone down below.
Some thoughts on Debby
And, Loving Carolinas.
One place I love the most is below


Pawley's Island.....love it so much.


The sign crashed down to the ground :(
My home pier...is okay but still the sign...
That hurts!

A personal note here in that while watching coverage early this morning before 4 AM when I see the names of towns, beaches and places that have become part of my own geographic memory over the last 15 years that I've lived here hits home again and again how much I do love it here. And, it amazes me over time that while I think of myself as a Miami girl (born and raised and raised my kids) over time I have become a Carolina Girl in every sense of the world. I worry on Pawley's Island, OIB a beach covered in starfish as the sun rises... and Myrtle Beach to the South where I love to spend a few days. Most of all my "beach" is Wrightsville, which is really Wilmington's Beach and the Johnnie Mercer Pier that juts out more than 1,200 feet into the ocean. When I saw the sign fell down :( I feel sad and then and again realize how much the Carolinas mean to me. This is personal for me.

Summerville SC has had over 17 inches so far...
There's flooding down there.
Dam failure ..I think 2 of them. 
Maybe one in Georgia.
More rain falling....
..oh and we have tornado warnings!


Woke up at 3:45 this morning.
Weather Alert on my Phone went off!
It was on silent. It really works.
Oddly my husband's phone didn't go off....
But trust me, we both woke up!
Which is good as FOMO
Wanted to get up early.
Watch the storm.
Watch the local coverage.


There's Debby. Still in SC technically.
But... her rain shield swirling thru NC.


Notice her moisture is everywhere.
Being sucked up from the Carib..
...from the Gulf of Mexico.
One long band still across S FL
Moving North eventually...
Up the coast.
But for now...
..this is my storm!


It's gonna be a lot of people's storm soon.
It'll be impacting the whole East Coast!
It will have impacted the whole E Coast!!


Here's the cone.
but it's counter intuitive.
It's tracking "the center"
Of what is left of Debby....
The weather moving fast....
....will be across a huge, wider area.


www.weather.gov
You can click on warnings in your area.
This is the warnings map you look at.
Flooding.
Flash Flooding
Tornado Warnings
High Wind Warnings.


Will update later in real time.
Going to go out now.
Look around.

Maybe sit on the balcony first...
....and sip my Nespresso.

Stay tuned...more to come!

















n

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home