Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Thursday, October 10, 2019

October.... Storms. Watching Tropics Still (Caribbean Convection) Noreaster NoName Hybird Storm ...Snow Storm in Dakotas... Santa Ana Winds in California. Pick Your Poison & Keep Watching and a Musical Buffet


GOES16-TAW-13-900x540.gif (900×540)

Good Morning.
Welcome to October.
A crazy quilt of wild weather.


You can see where my interest is tropically speaking.
Watching the Caribbean, deep down there.
Stormy weather in the Atlantic.
Gotta tell you to a Miami girl that sounds normal.
But this supposedly is a huge event.
In Raleigh the sun is coming up quietly...
...through the pines hints of color.
Drop of lavender in the pale blue... 
Carolina blue sky.


You can't see the lavender but it was there....
...because smart phone corrects it.
And tired of fighting with it so...
...close your eyes and imagine.

Now open them and keep reading ;)

As for weather today... 
And oddly to me the big story is in California.
Why you ask?
Because before this Miami girl moved to Carolina..
... I lived in California a long time.


And October there means Santa Ana winds.
And they are forecast today to be strong.
So strong they cut parts of the power grid.
Yes, you heard that right.
That way there's less sparks.
Less sparks means less fires.
Fires fanned with winds of up to 60 MPH.
That's strong tropical storm force winds.
Been there, seen it.....
...watched a whole countryside go up in flames.
Flames blowing in a wind storm.
So as for those traffic lights....
... treat them a 4 way stop.
Stay on the freeway...


Anyway back to the tropics.



The forecast for the impacts to the NE...
...definitely verified.
Nothing tropical or subtropical or extratropical.
Just go with the early Noreaster tag.



I feel like I can hear the big wild storm forecast melting...
...in the dark like that cake in MacAarthur Park in LA.
The storm is staying out at sea as forecast.
But still there are strong tides and big waves.
If you have a boat at the coast you're concerned.
Otherwise it's a Noreaster only in name.
Strong wind... no snow. 
No named Storm.
Moving on.

Seriously.... if you want to read all about.
You need to leave the NHC main screen.
And cut and paste the address they give.
For the North Atlantic High Seas Forecast.



I don't mean to complain just pointing out the obvious.
In 2019 why can the NHC not have a link to click?
I mean do they want you to click or not really?
Has to be the only site online that doesn't have...
...clickable links in 2019.



The system is offshore....
...then the cold front "Aubrey"
Swoops in and sweeps it out to sea.

Lots of warnings up far out at sea.
Lot's of warnings out West.
And then there's Aubrey in the middle.
If you care there's the link to click.


Aubrey, as TWC calls it, is on the move.
Ice, snow, wind, winter...oh my.
They showed a reporter scraping ice...
...off a tree bark just now.
Okay... I guess that happens out there in October.
Actually it's very cool in it's way.
(Wondering what the B named storm is?)
I'm a big winter fan myself.


But as for the tropics....
We are watching the Carib for late season development.
Watching the fronts as they move....
 from the A storm to the B storm
Winter storms dipping down or ....
are they sliding West to East?
We as in "team tropics" 


That's strong convection down there.
Colorful, worth watching.
Models are prone to flip flop.
Best to watch the show in real time.

Good link to historic hurricanes.
Many forget the old ones....
.... some of the worst ever.



I'm going to be honest with you....
...my gut tells me something will form.
It's a climo thing and this pattern.
But models show really nothing.
Well the EURO shows nothing.
The GFS tries to spin something up...
...loses it, spins it up again.
Nothing to write home about.
Or go long in the blog.

Another link for you is below:
If your area is colored in you may want to click.

October is just that time of year, you can get anything you want at the local mall or a good Chinese Buffet. Isn't it funny when you go to those huge decorated restaurants and they have an area with sushi in one corner, Chinese dishes in another and pizza and onion rings in another... something for everyone! October brings snow to Mt. Rushmore, fires to California, warm weather to Florida and a taste of fall in the Carolinas as New England gets a taste of winter. It's like a trip to your local Mall, yes I still go to Malls. I'm old school and according to every test I have ever taken on Facebook I "grew up in the 80s in California" so I'm still doing the Mall though I order more on Amazon than actually buy things at Macys. But a recent trip to Crabtree Mall in Raleigh showed me stores decorated for Halloween, the Christmas Stores are up and running and Macys China department has been filled with Christmas Trees in every color and design. Bathing suits are on sale, fall sweaters are on sale and they have not yet marked down the Fake Fur that is going to be huge this winter. Something for everyone...  Tropical smoothies next to that booth that sells candy cane chocolate chips, cheese and meat to give as gifts for the holidays. Oh and the 2020 Calendars are on sale at Barnes and Noble. Hard to remember what month it is in this sort of any season you want time of year.



As for me I'm caught in the midst of the Jewish Holidays going away for part of them and planning to be here for the rest of them. Looking forward to seeing old friends and a more better taste of fall as I go up the road a bit to where it's definitely a bit colder. Note to self: Find the pink sherpa I bought at Victoria Secret's last year because I bought it last year on sale and love it and last night I found the boots so... I'm set for colder weather. But I'm still watching the tropics. It's not over til it's over and that mix of fronts on the move and convection in the Caribbean often brings forth a storm to remember. But only time will tell. Anyone can hype it but unless you're using a Ouija board right now... it's not set to go but definitely could happen. My Grandma Mary was a good Southern Girl who deeply respected the Ouija Board and knew to stay away from the Voodoo Queens she learned about when living briefly in New Orleans.  Keep watching.


Going to leave you with an old favorite song.
One from my California days.
Praying the fires aren't bad.
Hoping winter comes early.
And watching the tropics.
Have a great day.
I'm going to pack today...
...so I can repack tonight and tomorrow.
Because that's me.

Yeah.... October is like that song.
You just go with it....
...even if it doesn't make much sense.
You string along... 
...watching Caribbean.
And singing songs...



Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter and Instagram.

Ps... Need to buy shoes. Really. 
Can I go from sandals to boots?
I have winter high heels.
But don't I need real shoes?
Going to work on this today.


Read in old notes yeterday....
....the Ps is always important.
Notes I made to myself.
Not sure why a song that was called bad....
...was recorded by everyone from Richard Harris..
....to Frank Sinatra... to Donna Summers.
to Waylon Jennings.
I always loved the song.
Especially in LA... where MacArthur Park is.. 
Well the California one anyway.

I saw Richard Harris in Camelot in LA.
I saw Donna Summers at a disco in Disney there.
I saw Waylon Jennings in a club in Miami.

Waylon does a good job.
It's a break up song.
We all know that.
But it's a true life real life song.
It means to each of us...
...something different I'm sure.
Pick your poison... Waylon..



Told you October is a Buffet.
Pick your poison, enjoy the dessert.



Here's the trivia if you are still here.


Explains it all or as much as anyone will say.
The Association (old group) didn't want to use it.
Saw them play as at an Oldies Place in Pasadena.
I was amazed they were still around.
It was the 80s after all in LA


PPS... God I loved that song.
Still do.... 
...in my head I'm walking down Wilshire Blvd.
Shopping for shoes... 
...and maternity clothes.
LOL LA... Discos while pregnant.
Really....


The things you loved...
...the places, the people and the music.
You love forever.









Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home