Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Friday, June 07, 2019

NHC Says Tropics Are Quiet Both in Atlantic & EPAC. Sometimes Though... Things Do Pop Up So... Never Say Never. Shavous Vacation Til Monday Evening. Eat Ice Cream or Cheesecake ;)



This graphic good as of late Friday.

Official image showing nothing happening.
NHC says for 5 days.
Let's see how that verifies in 5 days :)
But seriously not expecting anything to develop.
June is usually too soon....
...but often things pop up suddenly*

Let's look at the loop below.
Note the flow.
West to East 
Up above and down below.

Frontal boundaries are draped across the US.
Frontal boundaries over the South are stalled out.
In the Caribbean the typical Easterly Shear Zone reigns

atl_ir4_sat_tropicalindex_anim.gif (640×480)

Always watch old fronts especially off the East Coast...
....or in the Gulf of Mexico.
They are like dangling participles.
Hard to lose totally.
Sometimes they spin up fast.

A wider look shows us a few things.


How wide did you think I was gonna go...
Fronts up above....
Fronts down below.
Different types of fronts.
And an Inter Tropical Convergence Zone in between.
Note that white line that runs across the middle ...
The ITCZ as it used to be called.
It still is but often other names are used.


It's where our waves roll across and off of Africa.
It's where moisture off South America forms it's own in the EPAC.
Later in the season as this becomes more solid....
...we worry on the real storms... 
Hurricanes.
Not Invests.
Not Depressions.
Not Subtropical Storms.
Not even Tropical Storms.
As the waters warm we worry on hurricanes.
Cape Verde Hurricanes.


Africa up close.
It's worth noting everything has a season.
Indian Ocean is wet...
Tropical Waves are identifiable over Africa.
And each wave gets a bit higher in latitude.
This is a process as old as time.
That's why we have a rhyme.
June too soon.
July too stand by.
August you must.......
September Remember.

It's a cute rhyme we all learn growing up in Florida.
It really applies to Cape Verde Hurricanes.
Remember that asterisk?

* Much like old age things seem to pop up out of nowhere in June. My brother in Greece who is an author and musician uses that phrase when dealing with age related aches and pains. We suddenly remember all too well when our father gave up playing softball and Jai Alai and tennis and or anything that involved using his shoulder too much or too hard. He loved sports, but at some age he became more a spectator unless he was attempting to do catch with my brothers. Spoiler Alert: He was better at Jai Alai and tennis than he was catch...   My brother is getting to that age where things pop up and shift around in his body. It doesn't help that he fell out of a huge Tarzan like Ficus tree in Middle School breaking both his legs and an arm; maybe it was two arms and a leg but pretty sure it was both legs. I was living in California getting a play by play from my traumatized mother. Any time we got hurt or in trouble she was traumatized. It was truly traumatizing to realize you were the one that made her traumatized . . . 

The tropics in June when it's officially too soon are like old age... things pop up. Or maybe like a toddler you allow to play with your new CD and he throws it across the room and it breaks into a million pieces. Okay that didn't happen. We didn't have CDs then and we both think my mother broke it as she didn't like the song. Ouch...this has become a real mean fest over my mother. I loved my mother, I miss my mother... she passed on a few years ago and we remember her fondly with jokes. My father told jokes better than he played catch. I digress....  The point is just like ANDREA popped up suddenly out of nowhere.... so can some system at the tail end of a front and in the Gulf of Mexico from the remnants of the remnants of Invest 91L or who knows. Things pop up sometimes and things happen fast and form in the 4th day after the NHC says nothing will form over the next 5 days. I have digressed enough, back to weather ....

Below is the weather in motion.
For anyone who is new here....
Green means rain.
Dark green means heavy rain.
Red blobs are never good...
White means you have "fair" weather.

allfcsts_loop_ndfd.gif (799×559)

I've never been sure what "fair" weather means.
I suppose it's politically correct.
Good weather to me is a storm.
Good weather to you means you can sunbathe...

Flooding as I said earlier a few months back...
....will still be the big problem this Spring.
Going into this Summer as the rains continue.

Dabuh is watching waves.



I'm watching waves with him.
Mike is out on a big boat riding through the waves.



There is nothing currently brewing.
I'll be off until Monday evening.
It's Shavous a Jewish holiday my mother loved.
My father loved them all.
My mother loved blintzes and cheesecake.
Shavous is a Spring holiday.
You can read up about it if you wish.
Spring in the sense that it is Spring and...
...Spring fruits abound everywhere.
The tropics are dead but .....
.....there are berries galore in the store.

Making Blintzes Souffle.
Mac and Cheese.
Pimento Cheese.
Fruit Salads.
Lox and Cream Cheese on Onion Rolls.
Dips from Brooklyn bought in Baltimore.
The meat meals include Shake and Bake Chicken.
Sweet and Sour Meat Balls.
Chicken Soup my daughter is making as I type this...
... making French Onion Soup on Sunday.
Different meals for different days.
But those are the usual suspects.
Oh and cheese cake........
Lots of different toppings... 
Chocolate Cheesecake. Strawberry Cheesecake.
Okay I bought the one with different slices ;)

Trying to rest and keep it simple here.
I know it doesn't sound simple.
It is... compared to things I did in previous years.


A good link to see what some people make.
Good recipes.

Oh did I mention there's an Ice Cream Bar at the Temple?
Feel free to Google it or find a Chabad House near you.
The Ice Cream Party is on Sunday after services.

So that's it.
Please refer to my usual friends online ....

There's a few other people but sadly....
...someone's not talking to me.
Maybe I got too silly.
(I'm really sorry)
Or maybe I wasn't sorry enough :(

Anyways...........

I'll be back Monday evening.
Have a good weekend.
If you are at the beach use sunscreen!
If you are doing Shavous....
.... may I suggest Tagamet if dairy doesn't agree with you?

In truth if my oldest daughter wasn't here I'd probably barely cook.
I mean it's dairy? Does anyone really need blintzes?
I can live on yogurt, fruit and ice cream.

And a last note here.
It's not just me that has noticed the lack of storms in the EPAC.
Invest 91L disliked the Pacific so much it swam back into the Atlantic.
It crawled over mountains and jumped into the Gulf of Mexico.
It might still be there rouge like waiting to show up again?
The Epac has been quiet.
So much talk on it still being El Nino.
As far as I'm concerned we are on our way to Neutral.
Neutral as in kind of Normal .. Old School Hurricane Season.
Maybe even checking out La Nina soon ...
But it takes them so long to declare an El Nino....
...they have to wait a while to say it's leaving.
I know.. maybe Modoki
Yeah...whatever.
EPAC is quiet.
Check out Dabuh... 
He's good.
Plays well with others too!
Makes me laugh, smile and dance.


See y'all Monday Night.
Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter and Instagram.

Ps... as for my brother the writer who knows things "pop up"
Check out his latest book!


https://www.amazon.com/dp/1980911312





Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home