Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Monday, November 26, 2018

Tale of 2 Seasons. Hurricane Season Exiting & Winter Already Here and Staying.


When seasons collide.........
Trees with leaves get ice and fall down.
Football is played in the snow.
And our hurricane supplies ...
...become winter storm supplies.
Except in Florida.....
... where you can snack to your heart's content!

I'm sure I've used that phrase before but I can't think of a year that so exemplifies that saying in a meteorological way as 2018. We had a season that started early and looked as if we would have a map filled with tracks from barely there tropical storms and numerous subtropical storms. What's in a name? A name designates importance and yet it's hard to take a Tropical Storm that barely has any weather associated with it seriously ... yet it has a name and is on the map. Other weak tropical storms can intensify fast into players that take us by surprise. TWC likes to name winter storms ...they say to identify specific ones and others say it's just for hype...still it has a name and a hashtag online. Perhaps TWC got that part sooner rather than later, because if something doesn't have a name it doesn't really exist in a way that everyone can easily share information at the same time. In retrospect there was the SNOWCANE that the news channels gave a title to and splashed graphics across their screens several years ago in New York but there have been many "SNOWCANES" if you follow the New York media that loves to hype up anything and everything. Nuff said on names. So let's look at our map below.


This is preliminary as storms are reviewed by NHC.

This is from Jim Williams "End of the Year" review.
I suggest you watch it if you want a look back.
Please share it .... 
...good job by the man who was in the eye of Michael.
A look back at 2018 Hurricane Season ...
Save it to compare to next year.
I have some thoughts on that but ...
...that's a blog for another day.


Look at all those high latitude tracks.
And the longest track of all from Africa to the Carolinas.
And it's a high latitude track avoiding the cooler MDR.
Hard to even find Beryl on that map...
Remember Beryl? 
During the peak of the season we ended up with hurricanes.
Florence and Michael will be retired names.
They will go down in hurricane history.

And now we have winter that busted down our door.
Winter didn't knock gently.
Winter showed up early and refuses to leave.
The leaves on our trees are falling, clinging, falling.
The world turns below beautifully.
Look at that awesome Atlantic Gale.
Remember our old yellow circle from the NHC?
Yes it was there ....they saw it.
Yes it pulled together and swirled away..

sat_wv_east_loop-12.gif (640×512)

And look at that front trying to make it through Florida.
Look at that feed across Mexico into Texas still.
Texas had nonstop no name storms ...
...now the weather is continuing into the winter.


Will that front make it through?
NOAA says YES


You have to click to see what happens...

Today in Miami and Broward County there's fog.
Fog usually shows up in late December.
It's early this year like everything else.


My youngest brother moved from North Miami Beach up to Broward County and it puts him closer to many places he enjoys taking sunrise pictures of ...including his backyard as he is on a small lake in the Hollywood area. I like Hollywood. I complain about Broward sometimes (sorry) but to be fair North Miami Beach is pretty much South Broward as it's so far NORTH and close to the county line. TY Park is a place my mother-in-law loved and walked every day for a year or two when she lived in a senior facility across the street from there. She was raised in upstate New York and could walk for hours staring a nature. Now she's in a rest home in Maryland taking walks around the large property there but she did love TY Park. My kids have birthday parties there for their children and picnics for get togethers. It's a great, green, beautiful, verdant park but you can't tell that from the picture above that looks as if my brother was somewhere in Paris on the Seine. 



That is the same park above as the fog picture I posted.
Probably close to where my brother took that picture.
Fog arrives in winter in Miami.
A few days here and there out of nowhere.
Winter came early this year everywhere.


Snow maps show the next five days.
Again Mike has these up on his site.
And some new links I noticed....
 Below is the "freeze line"
Note it goes down to the Florida Panhandle.


And today a good part of the country ...
..is covered in precipitation of some kind.
What a perfect day for Cyber Monday.


I changed my plans for today.
I'm packing up presents.
Trying to take stock of who gets what...
..and make sure I don't miss anyone.
It's a big family.......

Ordering a few things on Amazon because it's easy.
Maybe buy something for me?
Maybe... we'll see.

Will mail out stuff when the sun comes out.
And then...enjoy the cooler weather.

People who know me and know how much I love Florida also know I have come to love this time of year in the Carolinas. Dry air means I breathe better and am less prone to Summertime sinus headaches that are horrible in Miami and I have less pollen problems up here this time of year. I like the way the trees look showing off their beautiful structure and I can see the sky again! Well unless it gets down into the teens I like dressing up in leggings and short skirts over high boots or wearing a pair of jeans with an oversized soft shirt. It's one reason I loved LA in that the winter was always beautiful and storms would come through and clear out the basin and you could see the mountains in all directions including some with snow on top of them. I'm dreaming.... of Seattle but my mother dance card is filled through February with places I need to be and promises I need to keep. Lord I'd love to sneak away for a few days but it usually takes me that long to get past the long trip to Seattle to see my son and his family there and... a city I have come to love intensely.

What do you love? Is it on sale today? One of the best things about "Cyber Monday" is it's a time to load up on basics you need in life that are often on sale or sold on a 15% or 25% or even a 30% discount. Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof Black Noir is on my list as it's a staple in my life. There's a pricey item I buy once a year from Dior that blurs the lines between my eyes so I look way younger than I am (good genes really.... though Estee Lauder gets credit as does Drunk Elephant ....Google it if you need) so yeah I'm a bit boring as I'm not buying any big tag items this year. I'll be looking for deals on products I use often around the house (not just make up) and I'm decorating for Chanukah that also comes early this year. 

Happy shopping and stocking up on that dream item or those things you use often that you need at discount. Good luck with presents (think gift cards....they work well for older kids and adults) and as my father used to say "you gotta do what you gotta do" and so I suggest you do it with love and happiness and joy. I got some good Hungarian genes from him ;) (and Lithuania/Baltic too) and yes go for the Ancestry discounts today if you want to find any surprises under your tree in a few weeks ;) Thanks for reading this mish mosh today of deep information and run on sentences and thanking my meteorological friends who have enriched my life in so many ways over the years... Still going strong as the song goes... 

Ha... weather is on sale this year.

For Fishing...
For Sue...
For you know who you are....


And for those of you ready for some holiday music.... it's the most wonderful time of the year!



Enjoy Andy Williams singing of the most wonderful time of the year from 1963 a wonderful year in that a few of my closest friends are born that year (good people) and a younger brother who is in Greece somewhere and hey you can buy his book as a stocking stuffer or if you are looking to read poems and prose while sitting on the toilet this book is for you. If you read it you'll understand that as he has some fascination with broken toilets in his fantastic collage art. Yes, we are all originals in our family, different as night and day and winter and summer yet we have one thing that binds us... creativity oozing out of our veins and whether we are authors or photographers we are always looking through the world through the eyes of an artist.  



I don't make this up... see one of his recent works. His work is deep, devilish and delightful depending on his mood. Check it out on Amazon if you know someone who likes to read new authors and has a good sense of humor and an appreciation of poetry, prose and the arts.


Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter
Follow me on Twitter for faster updates on breaking weather of all kinds.

(no Ps... nope, nada, nooooooo)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home