Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Winter of 2019 Been a Carousel of Storms ... Bouts of Warm Weather, Icy Weather and Rain. What Will the Hurricane Season Be Like I Wonder?



I just want to be clear that there is NO tropical development expected this week according to the NHC. The tropics is my main area of interest, but I love all weather so I'm here year round. I also live in the Carolinas and we do get winter weather and it's been more of an enjoyable hobby and a learning experience to understand various types of winter storms that often form but often do different things and form in real time often near the Carolinas before either slamming into New York City or Boston or going out to sea. You can see the trails of the last front on this map above out in the Atlantic and the new one over the mid part of the country about to move
East. There's moisture down in the Gulf of Mexico waiting to be sucked up into that next system and then be dumped on the East Coast again.

It's been an odd winter as it started fast out of the gate in November and then took a long December Thaw and reved back up a bit late in January as frigid Arctic Air found it's way down into the US again. It's been a nonstop carousel of wet, dangerous weather complete with tornadoes across parts of the Deep South, snow in the Appalachians or Ohio River Valley and at times covering parts of the Mid Atlantic States; North Carolina gets snow in the mountains but rarely into the Piedmont. Every model run shows a system with two or three different tracks and as soon as the models show it making a more Northern track people in DC and Baltimore get excited and New York City waits to get dusted with snow fall. And this has gone on for the last few weeks like some strange winter carousel and everyone on the East Coast waits for it to slam into the I95 corridor as if it's DC to Maine or Bust.... and often it's been a bust.  So yes this is funny and you have to follow "Cranky" to understand his sense of humor and the message in the madness of this ongoing set up. And, it's winter and no two winters really have to be exactly a like so as the saying is "it is what it is" and we keep watching.



I'm on Twitter usually watching.
Waiting for the snow to dip down into NC.
It doesn't do that often.
That's why so many people move here.
Because they like the seasons but...
...don't want to shovel snow.
They want it to melt fast like in Camelot.

I spend a lot of time on Spaghetti Models.
Lots of models, maps and information.

allfcsts_loop_ndfd.gif (799×559)

This loop is on that site shown below.


How long will snow stay out of the Deep South I wonder?
Weather people wonder a lot.
And winter storms come weekly...
..so there's always another one leaving from the West Coast..
On it's way East bound.......


A friend online Allan above shows daily maps.
Next system leaving... moving in.
Another round of rain.
Some chances for snow or freezing rain.
This whole winter has mostly been storms such as this.
All angled 1:30 to 7:30 (give or take)
Thin slivers or winter weather and rain.


My daughters used to sing that nonstop...
... all day, all night til I sang it all day.
This summer has been a winter in search of snow.
Slices of freezing rain and sleet appear.
Then disappear and then we get rain.
I've been told Raleigh got enough snow.
Hmnnn
And some places got Ice.

It's late, as I am typing this at 1 AM after I unpacked the suitcase I packed last night for the trip to New York that got put off until tomorrow morning. Oddly I have a smaller suitcase packed also for Miami and yes Cranky is right I do spend an inordinate amount of time on I-95 going back and forth. I'm dreaming of Seattle personally, but it's not so easy to get to and I need to be in New York tomorrow for one daughter and later in February (or sooner if the baby comes early like his sister did) I need to be in Miami eventually. That's life ....   no not putting up Frank Sinatra but the song is in my mind. Old cars and old time love stories with singers are popular at the movies again, trending like storm systems and rumors of snow and wintry weather before we spring forth into a Spring regime.


So what will be with the rest of winter? I've been offline a bit doing things, checking in, checking out. Always watching my friends and wondering. I've heard rumors of an Ice Storm but then I heard rumors that the rumors of the Ice Storm for the Deep South down the road should be ignored. I heard FOX news implied Ruth Bader-Ginsburg died and then after a commercial they took it back. The news and the weather has been a roller coaster of rumors and trending models. The Government Shut Down is still on and I know this as I spoke to my best friend Sharon around it today at length on the old fashioned cell phone rather than texting. And the beat goes on... My brother and his wife went to see Cher in South Florida; I'd prefer seeing Camila Cabello personally. (Havana oooh nana)



Isn't he cute ;)
Busy in the winter even.
Yeah big possibilities for wicked weather there.
High seas and strong surf. 
And as always we look forward to the next storm.
The one with real possibilities.
Where it's tracking.
I think it's interesting as we move along.


What will the early part of the Hurricane Season be like?
Have you noticed.....
(shh don't tell anyone)
No one is talking about El Nino of late.
Have you noticed that?
I mean where did it go???
There was so much talk, discussion and innuendo...
...and suddenly everyone has been kind of quiet.
Cranky will get that.
Like a kind of hush in the meteorological community.
Hmnnn

As for me I'll be on the road again.

I'll blog again soon.
If rumors of ice or snow become real concerns.
And if there is anything tropical or subtropical to track.
I'll be back.
Till then enjoy the music.
And watch the weather world turn.




Much love.
Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter

Ps... Honest... when I was little my mother used to sing this song to me.
Hated it in ways. It was like "it is what it is" 
But that's true too.... 
...so for my mother and my daughter... 
(and a special friend)


Note cute hat but she wouldn't be able to play the piano with gloves on ;)








Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home