Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Remnants of Alberto Cause Flash Floods, Mudslides and Road Closures



Regarding the remnants of Alberto.
Alberto went North.
Carrying much moisture with it.
And as always rain fell far to the right of his track.
Road closures from mudslides happened.


It's not uncommon for Appalachia to have this problem.
Especially when a tropical system or it's remnants arrive.


It's an area prone to flash floods.
Due to elevation obviously.
Remnants of Hugo caused problems.
Even weak Alberto is causing problems.
It's like a country within a country.
Appalachia.

I love to call NC Eastern Tennessee.
Or... Tennessee's coast.


And down in the Caribbean.
There is still moisture flowing North.


Much moisture.
Any old fronts going flat will cause possible problems.


Keeping this short and keeping it sweet today as I'm packing and on the road pretty much Southbound. For what it's worth and not sure what that really means but it's a phrase that keeps coming to mind.. I will be in Miami for the start of the Atlantic Hurricane Season; the official start but really that date has been mitigated by the early appearance of Earl. There is discussion that something may develop down below in the Caribbean and the rest of the chatter is about a system forming off the SE Coast that will slide up off shore and go where we aren't sure yet. Basically we aren't sure because it has not formed. Always wait to forecast storms until at least their early embryonic presence is noticeable on satellite imagery and on showing up on multiple runs of the EURO.   Hang in there and get whatever hurricane supplies you will need to get through the 2018 Hurricane Season because I think you may need them and the GOM coastline and Mid Atlantic is more at risk this year for several reasons. I can go into those reasons on June 1st so stay tuned.

Besos BobbiStorm

Ps My father who was a fan of a local rock station in Miami kept listening when they switched over to Country in the early 1980s and became a massive fan of Willie Nelson. I was listening to Willie in LA on old cassette tapes bought at Radio Shack with his most famous early hits. So it was amusing that we were living on separate coasts both listening to Willie. He liked the Beatles before I did. In retrospect my father kept on top of music trends quietly and wasn't afraid to try new music. Always think of him when I him when I hear this song. Also because I cried in the scene when Loretta Lynn said goodbye to her father when she went West with her husband in Coal Miner's Daughter and he suggested to her he might not see her again as she was moving away. Luckily I saw my father again and eventually moved back to Florida and my older kids got to know him pretty well. They were both scruffy and had much in common in ways. So I'm on the road again... to see my kids and stepdaughter and my best friends and feel the tropics up close and personal as the Hurricane Season begins!



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home