Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Tropical Storm Rafael and My Miami Memories..

To be honest the best place to go tonight to read about Tropical Storm Rafael is this site below. 


www.spaghettimodels.com

As for me...going to try to write about Tropical Storm Rafael ... 
but........this is most likely going to be a rambling, personal post with some meteorology mixed in
forgive me... I know not what I do?? Nah.. I do. 
I'll write a "normal" post on Rafael tomorrow...

So as for me I'm sitting here listening to an old CD titled "Happy Valentines Day 2001!" and it's sooo good. So smooth, so mellow, so beautiful, so sexy and so whimsical. I'm so lucky to have a lifetime supply of stalker music and never ever have to buy myself music ever.   :)    Sorry, that was bad...but true and I do buy music on rare occasion though mostly I do Pandora and Youtube and listen to old CDs that I come across..

And, I spent the evening trying to think of what to write about Rafael other than... he is still trying to find himself. He is a large, cyclonic sort of system in a broader pocket of moisture embedded in a large frontal boundary sort of system. It's funny how sometimes the NHC goes on and on explaining why they aren't naming a system until it finds itself and has a definitive circulation and other times... they go ahead, name it and wait for the models to play out in real life and explain how the center isn't really a real center. The models develop Rafael in the Atlantic and make him a stronger storm, he is affecting the islands currently and that warrants a name and advisories. His large area of weather is producing strong winds and tons of rain, yet... he's not really a well wrapped storm. But, the models..............develop him so we are watching him and he is making weather...  This is sort of a case life imitating the models.

"give me one night with you ... every time for all time...it would be so right... if i could have just one night with you"




So, where will he go?  North... and then out into the Atlantic again heading straight for Bermuda, but probably missing Bermuda and then on to the far North Atlantic ... and he'll take off like the proverbial bat out of hell or however that saying goes. Maybe he'll blow kisses when he passes my latitude?

"no rush, no hurry, sometimes time forgets.. come with me to the place where two hearts will beat as one.. the moon and the stars and the setting sun" very chilled and mellow music... is that a guitar? piano... wow

Here is the track map for Rafael tonight:




I call this Leslie Remix...Newfoundland or bust? Is there any other track this season for an Atlantic storm? Miami must have her force field up this year ;)


"watching me watching you is so obviously true..." (oy Bill Withers..........) "nothing to regret..." "there's a magic spoken only by lovers......" "it's my loving you that puts the sparkle in your eyes"





The NHC is watching Rafael and they wrote a long discussion, a good discussion, explaining their thinking regarding her movement which has really been a relocation all day of her position in line with the models while waiting to see if his true center will take over.

Some fragments here

" STRONG CONVECTIVE BANDS WITH
CLOUD TOPS COLDER THAN -80C ARE OCCURRING OVER THE EASTERN
SEMICIRCLE.  HOWEVER...THESE REMAIN RATHER LOOSELY ORGANIZED
NEAR THE CENTER."

"THE CENTER HAS JUMPED AROUND SOME DURING THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS. 
HOWEVER...THE OVERALL MOTION IS NORTHWARD AT ABOUT 12 KT. "

See what I mean? And, in truth when you watch the storm you see him wrapping up, yet his caboose is still there showing multiple centers. This should resolve itself sooner rather than later.. we hope. And, then it's 1, 2..3..off into the Atlantic he goes.

They always do me in... they listen. Love these old corny, bluesy songs... one of my favorites from when I was really young and thought I was much older. Who finds an 11 minute song and why do I call them a "they" lol ??? Not saying ...loose lips sink big ships or something like that?? I love this song... 

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IzxHKI8PJE



Look at the bottom part and you'll see he is really trying hard to pull it together.

Also... look to the left to the US to the Mississippi Valley and see the storm system that blew through Oklahoma City and Kansas City earlier today. They parallel each other don't they? Why do some places feel the need to put the word "City" after their name? I mean we get it...they were old cowboy towns out on the Prairie and they were a CITY... but it's like Tuna Fish. It's a fish duh. It's a city..duh? Why??  We don't say Miami City do we?? I'm digressing, but it's late on a Saturday Night and the big storms didn't really pan out, but then again neither did Rafael...

Enh Infrared Satellite - GOES East Current
"Baby I'm yours....and I'll be yours until 2 and 2 is 3"  (rolling eyes) "until the mountains run into the sea..." "til the stars fall from the sky"

There are remnants of Patty, but I doubt they will develop ...however there are some that are watching.

Note the date here is today not yesterday or long ago...



And, there goes Rafael....zooming up into the Atlantic like the models said he would... still looks more like a frontal boundary/low pressure trough than a Tropical Storm but give it another day or so ..




Keep watching... doubtful but an old friend from high school always taught me never to say impossible... 
Thank you Joseph Geller... I'll remember that quote always ... 
Improbable... but not impossible...


"it's about faith, it's about trust..."

Smooth music to suit my mood. Nice long Shabbos and slept a lot, watched the sunrise and the sunset. Found an old charm with the sun and the moon on a silver string, and I smiled and it's all good. See? Cured, no more freaking out or getting frazzled by crazy friend with wonderful music to soothe my soul.

"just love me body and soul" (great song)  staring... of course it's got a Coda lol probably Ella singing... nice version... 

I didn't go to my High School Reunion this weekend. Wrong timing for me as I am out of town, I'll be home soon, but not this weekend. And, they didn't really go to Miami which is sort of pathetic if you ask me. Afraid? Everyone coming in on cheap flights to FLL or did they all stay in South Florida, but move north psat the County Line? I mean do you really have to go to Dania Beach or Ft. Lauderdale when Coral Park is in the DEEP SW part of Miami? What was wrong with Dadeland or Miami Beach or Miami? In truth, had it been in a few weeks I might have gone. I have a lot of friends and I was in a lot of clubs and a lot of friends and good memories but they don't take place in Dania.. they take place in Coral Gables mostly. Yup, Coral Gables was our place to hang out on Saturday Nights and a good place to do so. Jahns. The Flick. So many places between Coral Gables, The Grove and out on US1. Fun times ....nice times. We talk online on Facebook and other places and anyone who wants to find me can find me and most likely has.......staring...........thinking.... but... maybe next time. Reunions are fun, reunions are good... how come we can't make reunions for other times in our lives? That would be fun..  It just didn't work out this year, I needed a rest... and I got it. And, a lot of reasons and a few of the people I'd like to see most didn't go so maybe the next reunion. I've been to a lot them.. they are fun. But, after two BIG weddings in less than 5 months or so, a family reunion and multiple other trips to New York the idea of traveling anywhere is eeww. Okay, maybe Key West...

And, as for the past  ... and where I grew up most of the old places are gone... so you can't do a reunion at THE FLICK cause it's no longer there, probably a sushi spot. And, Jahns is a Steakhouse the last time I looked. The dress shop is a Starbucks, that's cool... Woolworth's is a Barnes and Noble. Things change..



THE FLICK lol... home of Jimmy Buffett performing and so many others...

When I was a little girl my parents took me there, it was considered a big deal "grown up" thing for me to do. Later, I went with boyfriends .. great place... why are there no pictures? Dark (maybe too dark for pictures??) red interior, pictures on the wall, Tiffany Lamps hanging, drinks in tall vases with long straws... and incredible Hot Mint Chocolate. We thought we were so cool going to the FLICK vs a movie and to tell you the truth, we were cool... and we were right. How many people can say they saw Jimmy Buffett play for the first time in South Florida on the night after his first trip to Key West? I can.. yup. And, I was too young to go to a bar or the Castaways or the Boom Boom Room at the Fountainbleau where the older kids went. And, to the guys who got me strawberry wine from the 7/11...thank you!

The Flick... a great memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q8caI5QRKg
http://miamimemories.blogspot.com/2007/12/grovenow-and-then.html

After play production we would go to Jahns and get a big Kitchen Sink and share it every which way we could..




Growing up in Coral Gables, or the edge of Coral Gables, was the best... and then when my parents moved to Miami Beach... I went from one 1920s Boom Town to another Boom Town but a town that never goes Bust.. neither Miami Beach nor Coral Gables ever lost it... other towns like Opa Locka lost their luster, and Hialeah was high but not dry enough after the 1926 Hurricane and they were stranded out there waiting for the water to go down... and the buyers to come back. Miami Shores though nice, was too little too late. But, Coral Gables and Miami Beach are now and forever the most beautiful places for beautiful people to be in South Florida. The Mile is as wonderful now as it was then and driving under the tree lined canopy is as splendid today as it was in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s...





And, yes Mabel it really does look like that :)
Buy some Postcards... they sell them at the South Florida Historical Museum in the gift shop, one of my all time favorite places to spend money.

http://www.federicocarosioiii.com/Postcards-by-Federico-Carosio.htm

"lying besides you is still a perfect place... still going strong...so glad you came along...still beautiful to me... I just have to say... you're still beautiful to me..."  

Yup, Miami Beach and Coral Gables... they are still beautiful to me... and making a list and checking it twice of all the things that I want to do as soon as I am back home. Miami so far has escaped tropical trouble. Tampa made it through another year, so far... Strong winds tonight in South Florida never the less..




The gorgeous Fountainbleau...



http://www.citybeautiful.net/  <---take a look and yes it is that beautiful...

And, Miami & Miami Beach................oh wow... spent about an hour today reading an old book a friend wrote, Paul George the historian..and a very good friend. One of my all time favorite people in the world. 
http://littlehavanaguide.com/node/39  <--- take a walking tour.. give it a try with the amazing Dr. George.

Look how beautiful she sites... at the water's edge... shimmering the way William Brickell and Julia Tuttle knew she would one day...





And speaking of beautiful Florida Places... 


Here's Old Tampa... where my family lived after Key West
but before they moved to Miami
a Great, Great Uncle had an office in this hotel.. 
Tampa Bay Hotel.. back when it looked like this



Yup... my friend has it so right... still beautiful to me..



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icWZbEPphTY <--- Still Beautiful To Me... the incomprable Bryan Adams who is so hard to listen to for so many reasons ;)

Sweet Tropical Dreams..

BobbiStorm
Ps. Go Coral Park Rams and Yes... Linda and I were sitting in the library under those palm trees outside with library passes in our pockets and writing and writing and writing as we sat in the shade enjoying a nice tropical breeze... best place to grow up.. Miami. 


Psss.... still would love to hear Peter singing this song in person again lol ... now that is something to remember. Just not while driving a car way too fast onto Biscayne Blvd and NOT looking at the light turning green but looking at me... lucky to be alive... lucky to be me .... 


Am sure I looked so stupid beyond words repeating Peter over and over and over.............lol.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home