Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Rainy Season Arrives With a BOOM at FLL Airport. Lightning Takes Out the Runway..



The Rainy Season in South Florida has arrived...and so have I.
Note the little blue circle around the little line of clouds that created the severe thunderstorm that
knocked out FLL Airport earlier today... just before my flight was diverted to RSW.



This is the sky as seen by my brother about that time in North Dade near the county line.


Close up...



I guess the rainy season REALLY, REALLY IS here in South Florida. And, of course, so am I. Of course, it's typical that on my way to FLL a freak lightning bolt would take out the only operable runway and my plane was diverted back to Tampa...and then diverted to Ft Myers.


http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Weather-Forecast-Showers-and-Storms-as-Humidity-Rises-262291301.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_MIBrand

This was not a case of HEAT lightning as much as the rainy season and increased moisture in the area from a flow coming out of the Carib. Of course the whole town is a bit HEAT crazy currently.



May I say the flight back from RSW to FLL at 3 PM in the afternoon was one of the bumpiest flights.. 
I've been on in a long, long while. It was like being on a roller coaster. An exciting ending to a long, long day in the air flying around the State of Florida. I can definitely testify to the fact that we are most definitely in the rainy season here in South Florida :) Big, big, BIG... HUGE Thunderheads climbing high into the Florida sky. The Southwest crew on Flight 1381 was I may add great at handling an annoying situation very professionally and with their usual good sense of humor. When the plane landed the flight attendant simply said, "GET OFF" and we did... gladly. A lot of people clapped... for good reason. The taxing in did seem a bit bumpy after landing. They may need to repatch that runway a bit more ... 





As for the tropics and the Invest that was never up to the grade to become Arthur... it went back to the Pacific and when the Pacific gets active the Atlantic is quiet. Think of it as a tropical seesaw. That is a simplistic explanation ....but one that works.

Tomorrow I will discuss in detail the similarity and differences between Tampa Bay and Biscayne Bay and why a direct hit up Tampa Bay of a major hurricane would be so much worse than a direct hit on Biscayne Bay. 

It is may I say a very beautiful place.... so much water, so much blue... beautiful.



Besos Bobbi

Ps... I have spent most of my life trying not to fly home at 3PM during the Rainy season... and yes for my astrological friends... it was a typical mercury retrograde situation but now I know what Ft. Myers looks like so wasn't so bad.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home