Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Monday, August 01, 2011

Tropical Storm Emily Forms Near Dominica -- Miami Bound?

Tropical Storm Emily formed this evening while it was trekking through he Islands near Dominica. Note, I did say early on that Emily would affect Dominica.. I was right. Sometimes, even I am surprised my how right I am. I never thought it would take the northern route and I doubted it would be strong enough to start turning north so fast. I do still think it will become a hurricane at some point, however a lot depends on how well developed Emily is and the track she takes from here on out. But, Hurricane Recon made the call this evening when they found "west winds" confirming a closed circulation and winds strong enough for an instant upgrade to Tropical Storm strength.

"DATA FROM THE AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT
INVESTIGATING THE SYSTEM OVER THE LESSER ANTILLES SHOW THAT A
WELL-DEFINED CIRCULATION CENTER HAS FINALLY FORMED NEAR THE ISLAND
OF DOMINICA..."

Now what?

We watch, we wait... we see what she does next.

Miami is currently in the five day cone with storm force winds on Saturday. To me the suburban communities of Ft. Lauderdale are more under the gun, or Palm Beach however that depends on the angle of approach to South Florida. As I type this I am sitting in a sweet little house in Hollywood and thinking how glad I am my kids have hurricane shutters.

Max Mayfield spoke live on WPLG tonight at Five so that pretty much sealed the suspicion that South Florida would be in the Cone. We were, as I mentioned earlier, directly under the track of the GFS model which I posted in the previous post.

Tomorrow morning should tell the story of how confident the forecasters are in their forecast. Tonight, they were very unsure.

So, it seems that Emily might just say Yes, Yes, Yes to a trip to South Florida after all. Maybe.

Time will tell.

Jim Williams will be on tonight on www.hurricanecity.tv with his show and it's a timely show as Emily has finally decided to show her face. Will she keep it is the question.

Stay tuned... Sweet Tropical Dreams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home