Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Conditions In Miami & Wondering IF We Are Playing Fantasy Football With Fay?

It's almost 1am and I have turned off TWC.

First the facts. Then some rambling thoughts on the Full Moon and Fay and things that go bump in the tropical night.

It is a beautiful night here in Miami. Some of the neighborhood kids are on my front porch talking about how nice the night is and the beautiful breeze. Being honest here. I haven't a clue how hot it was today except to say in the high 80s. Maybe the 90s. It felt hotter. The air had a hot, heavy feel to it making it almost hard to breathe. It gets that feel when there is a system near by.

There was a steady breeze. It didn't stop. I sat with my best friend by the canal, up on top of a picnic bench facing east. My long, gauzy, summer skirt was blowing in the wind like a flag. Like a frickin' fluttering flag that didn't stop blowing once. It gusted up, it gusted down but it kept fluttering. The house across the street from where we were had wind chimes, they kept chiming.

Everyone was sort of restless. Blame it on the storm or blame it on the full moon. There was a lunar eclipse today but it wasn't visible in our part of the world, but it was there still.

My daughter is worrying on her boyfriend who is coming in this week, we all keep telling her the storm should be gone by then. My whole family is coming in to town for a Bar Mitzvah Labor Day Weekend. I keep pretending we won't have Gustav that week. My boyfriend could end up with Fay if she really does go all the way up the Carolinas. Oh well.. maybe he can join me for Gustav...

Such is life in Miami in the Hurricane Season....

I should have gone to Key West for Shabbos but didn't want to be so far away in case Fay formed and moved more to the north. And, been doing a lot of traveling and wanted to rest today and not travel anywhere but now I wish I was there not here.

All day Fay was there on The Weather Channel spinning endlessly and yet never really looking any better.

Miami is in the Cone. Are we freaking? Nah...

I didn't go shopping as it was Shabbos (Jewish Sabbath for those who don't know what I am talking about) and I sat with my best friend Sharon talking possibilities. We will wait and see what the 5 AM says and maybe after breakfast at Jerusalem Pizza we will go shopping for a few things.

Meanwhile at my house we are on the "save all bottles drill" which means any large or small water bottles or Arizona Iced Tea bottles are to be washed out, set out to dry and saved to be refilled just in case.

As for Fay... she's not really doing much and yet she is responsible for the death of 3 or 4 people so far depending on which report you hear and massive flooding that she left behind in her path. She has caused great misery already. And, she could cause more.

Her name, by the way, means " is derived from Middle English faie meaning "fairy", such as in the popular Arthurian figure of Morgan Le Fay."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Le_Fey

She was a complicated witch among other terms of endearment I won't use here tonight.

From a site online that compares the name with Fey which is a name as well as a way of describing someone's appearance. I would venture to say that Fay has a fey like quality vs being a vivacious lass ready to take on the world as the HWRF model seems to believe it will. It could, perhaps like Morgan Le Fay she is tricky and a sorceress weaving spells under the full moon?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fey

a. Having or displaying an otherworldly, magical, or fairylike aspect or quality: "She's got that fey look as though she's had breakfast with a leprechaun" Dorothy Burnham.
b. Having visionary power; clairvoyant.
c. Appearing touched or crazy, as if under a spell.
2. Scots
a. Fated to die soon.
b. Full of the sense of approaching death.

The reason I haven't put up pics is she is less than photogenic right now.

She's looking bad on the water vapor loop. A brief burst of convection can be seen but will it maintain and is this really a Tropical Storm? I felt better when we were tracking her towards the islands. She is... but she is a mess.

Here she is at 1 AM. The red dot that looks like her right eye is exactly where her center should be.. I think. The bright red to the south is what would be a band if she were more together.




I feel like we are playing some Fantasy Football game with her pretending she is more than she is or will ever be.

Maybe she will intensify. Maybe she will pull north. Maybe she will kick ass. Maybe she's doing one hell of a spell down at the drum circle tonight. (Heard from the kids that there is one down near Bal Harbor...)

For that ultimate touch of life in the tropics :)
http://www.miamidrums.com/

So it occured to me that Morgan Le Fay is in the Arthurian Tarot Deck so I checked it out and as it is in the world of Flow and Karma she is the Moon Card. There she is looking fey like but stronger than she looks trying to summon the forces of the full moon with just a touch of deception. Perfect.



I'm going to go to bed, listen to the 2am if I am still awake. The kids went to Jonas Pizza, hey... it's the new kosher late night Saturday night hang out. You can only be 17 once in your life you know... Wonder what kind of pizza they are getting..

As for Fay.. I don't like the models. They are inconstant like the moon. Tomorrow they will be more better with data from the Gulf stream Jet so I am going to go to bed and dream of Sir Lancelot living happily ever after with Queen Guinevere, even if only in dreams.




(hope you enjoyed the harmonica... )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home