Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Time Waits For No One... Hurricane Season is Around the Corner.




Time flies when you are traveling. And, I've been traveling a lot lately. I'm back for a day or so ... so it occurs to me I should blog. I did think on putting a "Be Back Soon" sign on the blog or "Save This Space" but nah I'm going to say hello and try to put early April into perspective from my point of view.


I'm in Raleigh this morning and wondering why it looks more like Seattle with gray skies that are darker in Raleigh than they are in Seattle; something about diffraction of light possibly but my son explained it to me and he's right. Raleigh on a gray day is so gray it's dark, dreary and a sort of denial of Spring. Fall and Spring often bring these gray days when the weather just hangs low over Raleigh. It's okay, I've come to like it and appreciate it. For instance on Saturday which is my Jewish Sabbath I was in Temple staring out at the wisteria that somehow looked prettier on a gray day than on Sunday when I went over to take a picture in the bright sunshine. Wisteria like Jacaranda looks most beautiful on a gray day. I know that because I lived in LA and it's often gray early in the morning and later in the afternoon as the marine layer lays over the city for much of the day sometimes.

I have a confession to make. I've been laying low and trying to avoid the ever flowing news headlines that keep coming faster than the cold fronts sliding East across the nation. The last one was so strong it raced down through Florida and then turned into a Stationary Front hanging across the Straits of Florida. Yes, I am watching every day a bit more at the satellite imagery. And, I keep watching each new front sweep in from the Pacific slamming the NW part of this country with never ending rain, gray skies and infrequent wind or hail. Spoiler alert time flies whether you are watching it or not.


allfcsts_loop_ndfd.gif (799×559)

This loop and others are on Spaghetti Models.

We drove down to Miami to visit with my children who had babies over the last month or two. My daughter in Brooklyn met us in Raleigh and we drove down to Florida with her so that provided some rare quality time. In Miami and Hollywood Florida the family gathered for the Passover holiday. When I say gathered that's an understatement with my gang. I'm pretty sure there are some Native America Pow Wows that have less people and less noise. I know noise is good as it shows people are alive and kicking. Meyer kids tend to be loud, vibrant and talkative. The younger Meyer kids tend to be quieter though they are vibrant and fun. Babies cry and sleep, two year olds say "NO!" and sometimes slug someone (alive and kicking ...) and kids when they get together as adults often (but not always) revert back to who they were when they were teenagers.  Did you know Whole Foods has stopped carrying Happy Camper since they were bought by Amazon? Really pretty pathetic as I had to hunt it down at Sprouts Market in Raleigh. A few of my favorite products have been dropped from Whole Foods which is annoying but it forces you to spread your wings and spread more money around into small local stores that often get lost when competing with the larger juggernaut stores that charge more money anyway. Yes, they are really called "Happy Camper Pills" and they do give a measure of calm, energy on days when 20 or 30 family members are gathered together to memorialize tradition and history. I'm pretty sure the early Hebrews did not have them when they left Egypt and headed for the Red Sea. 




So that being said I'm going to go out and do things I need to do before heading out to Seattle to visit with my West Coast kids that I rarely get to spend any real quality time with as well...it's a long expensive flight (especially during cruise season so you got to go fast before fares go up) and using up my Southwest Miles to travel for miles to see the kids there. It's my granddaughter Bella's birthday and I want to spend it with her this year rather than watching from a far.  Then I can come back to Raleigh and settle down and settle in as the Atlantic Hurricane Season moves closer day by day whether I'm paying attention or not. Are you paying attention? It's easier to prepare now before an approaching hurricane fills up your Publix faster than you can say "oh my gosh not again!!"


Yup, time waits for no man or woman or gender neutral person. Soon I'll be writing every day and discussing tropical tropics on a daily basis. I know that sounded redundant. 

Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter

Ps... I hope you are happy .... I updated the blog! I updated but not proof reading!!



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home