Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Snow is on the way to NYC, Boston, Philly.. Check Your Flights as Travel IS being impacted! Loss of a friend Rabbi Shlomo Schwartz "Schwartzie" and memories of LA days.


The Super Bowl has come and gone. New England won, as we all kow, and now NE is about to be buried under the weight of a snow storm not ticker tape. Oh... and NYC and parts of New Jersey and well this is a real old fashioned SNOW STORM! Love the purple on this map, yet the white is where the snow will make the most impact. There's already controversy on this storm and it's just weather yet politics rears it's ugly face. Welcome to 2017 huh?



Today the high temperature set records.
Friends in Crown Heights told me it felt like Spring.
Crown Heights is in Brooklyn.
People were out and about in Prospect Park.
Pretending tomorrow winter is not coming back.


http://pix11.com/2017/02/08/near-record-heat-wednesday-before-
heavy-snow-is-forecast-to-hit-tri-state-thursday/
Story in the link there.

Picture people jogging through Central Park in shorts and tee shirts.
Smiling, pretending it's really Spring in February.

You know that song .. Saturday in the Park...


Tomorrow winter comes back....


Like the cat... winter came back...


The good news...............
........is alternate street parking is suspended.


Hey if you live in NYC this is BIG!!

So let's look at this bomb of a storm....

Flow is there...

latest_wv_loop.gif (535×440)

As for forecast totals.
Should they play out...
...there will be a lot of snow for play time.


If you have tickets to an airport in the path of this storm...
...or flying anywhere tomorrow you may want to check in.


That's the notice up on Jetblue just now.
Not good.


On a good day traveling in and out of Boston is bad.

I came back from Israel changing planes in Boston. I had, by the way, a sprained right wrist and my purse and laptop on my left shoulder.. As it was the first entry port I had to go out of customs there, go get my suitcase that was large and being sent on to Raleigh. Some kind, strong guy grabbed it for me and I had to take it about 20 feet to a man at Jet Blue who was taking our luggage and gathering it to send on to other places and then I had to go back through TSA at BOS at 7 AM when it's busy. I was in line for over an hour. As my ticket was made through El Al even TSA approved doesn't work and I never saw a line move so slowly in my life. I'm used to traveling, this was bizarre but I was told it's pretty normal for Boston in the early morning. Remind me never to change planes in Boston again, please. I barely made my plane and that was with a 3 hour layover. End of rant. 

No really it was BAD I didn't even have time to look for a Boston Donut or a Red Sox sticker and it was so annoying.  Anyway, they will get theirs sooner rather than later as winter is making a come back!


sat_ir_enh_east_loop-12.gif (640×512)

By Thursday morning the snow storm should show itself.
They do that they come out of stealth mode.


Boston NWS shows way more snow throughout the week.
It may look like that iconic scene in Love Story.


Really, find someone to go play in the snow.
Or hunker down inside.

So that's the story.
Old school snow storm.
It's not the end of the world.
But if your flight gets cancelled it may feel like it.


Been a long day for me. I had a friend or two that had doctor's appointments today and I was a bit worried on one in particular. There's a phrase in Yiddish I can't remember but it means sitting on needles ... that sort of feeling. I slept funny on my healing wrist so it was sore when I woke up. Tried to think good thoughts and not worry much and while online joking with my daughter and some friends a post popped up that took my breath away. A friend of mine or maybe a co-worker? No, yes... maybe. A friend's husband and a man who helped my ex-husband become involved in Chabad. I worked for Chabad in LA and in Miami in the 1970s, 1980s and into the 1990s in ways. I worked in LA during the 80s as I've said here often. Oh what a time it was and one of those "in the right place at the right time" sort of examples. You have to Google "Chabad" to understand fully, but even Google can't explain things always. 

Chabad is sort of a Jewish Outreach that often works in schools, campuses and pretty much anywhere there are Jews who want to learn more about who they are and the meaning of life or let's say to add in the meaning of their lives. Our house was filled with guests coming and going and Sabbath meals on the Shabbos that had anywhere from 10 to 20 to who remembers how many people as people would show up to eat, to learn and to laugh. Good times really.  

Rabbi Shlomo Schwartz worked anywhere his folding cardboard table could be set up on campus at UCLA or any college campus in the area including Fairfax Avenue on a busy afternoon. Over time he held Purim Parties at the Comedy Store and he went from Hippies to people in Hollywood to anyone willing to talk and admire his quirky tee shirt or hat and join in a conversation. He was an original. The video below was made for his 70th birthday, he had been ill and as always people hope they never have to see that story on Facebook if you know what I mean.. I did today. He passed away. 


He had a smile, he had a goal, he had his mission in life and part of that mission was to do it with Joy. May you all know people who are joyful, funny and passionate. And may you give as much as you get and pass along those smiles, that love... And that's all I'll say here. It rarely rained in LA and it really, rarely snowed. In Carolina it snows a bit more but very little. I went from California to Carolina, a numerologist could have a field day with that I'm sure. 

Give a little love... share a smile, do a good deed in his memory. Give charity, share something with someone. Make the world a better place than you found it! "Schwartzie did!" He touched thousands, tens of thousands of lives giving their lives more meaning. He passed a long the Rebbe's message in his own unique way and whether he was as he said "court jester" or a 4 Star General he was iconic and well no one like him. Yet our job is not to be someone else but to be ourselves, live out our own story and that's a story for another time.



Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter

Ps sorry for any typos... my wrist is almost back to normal but I'm way too tired to spell check.












Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home