Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Thursday, September 04, 2008

11 PM Cone Shows Hurricane Ike Partying on South Beach Tuesday Night...

11 PM Cone Zone From the NHC...



Well...somewhere near SoBe.. Could be Hollywood Beach. Aventura. Clematis Street in Palm Beach. Could go south into the Keys. Hey..could go all the way to Tampa.

So... you want to know how I feel? I'm thinking of vomiting on Monday night! Checking to see how many darvocet I have left from my last sinus infection.

Best part of this is that as we look at this new 5 day cone Miami is getting light rain from Hanna.



Death Toll from Hanna in Haiti is 138. Massive flooding and a quarter of a million people said to be evacuated according to CBS News in Miami. So, while Hanna is not a Major Hurricane know she has done major damage in the Caribbean.

Last thing I will say right now about Hanna is... she has the potential to make a whole massive lot of people miserable over the weekend. Unless she takes the right side of the cone I cannot even imagine the number of people from Charleston to Maine that could be rained upon this weekend at the least. The travel nightmare alone would be massive. So.. don't let your guard down on Hanna while you are worrying Ike could come and get you next week. I really think it is a Florida storm and so does the NHC.



So...what is life like in Miami tonight? Breezy, rainy and busy at the market. There is a fatalistic feeling everywhere that in some form we will get Ike. Everyone knows he could turn fast just off shore like Floyd or David but most people today saw Andrew when they looked at Ike. We'll see. Someone told me cheerfully that being in the 5 Day Cone is like Jim Cantore... neither ever get the exact eye of the storm. I'm not laughing... it's not really a laughing matter yet everyone seems to be trying to take it calmly and with morbid humor.

Signs up for water at Publix in Skylake near the "Countyline" show a good sense of humor.



People were buying water but not in panic mode. Many told me they have supplies still from Gustav and are more worried on shutters and getting gas.

Another interesting thing to mention about Miami tonight. We had the most magnificent pink/purple sunset. Whether it was from Hanna or from SAL (African Dust in the atmosphere) it was beautiful but a bit eerie. I have always been a big believer in where African Dust Storms go.. so do the hurricanes that come off of the Africa. There was a lot of SAL entrained in Hanna it seems.



See the SAL.. dots round Miami and the storm? There was more colored dots around Miami and the Straits six hours ago..






So, as I sit here watching TWC I am thinking what to say. We have low barometric pressure from Hanna. 29.63 with winds out of the NW gusting to 22. The AC is on though I stood outside earlier and it was beautiful, almost chilly.

Ummmm sort of short on words tonight which is why I am plying you all with pictures. What is there to say? The NHC has painted a picture of possible catastrophic disaster yet they have cautioned us with the fact that those in the 4th and 5th Day of the Cone often see changes and things could change. Some models curve Ike before hitting land, our loss would be the Carolina's pain. Others take it through the Keys into the Gulf and it would presumably curve back to the North somewhere and do more damage to the Gulf Coast or West Florida. Some models take Ike all the way right into South Florida. We just have to wait and see, as always.

There is a trof... there is a high and there is a Category 3 Hurricane named Ike. They dance around each other staring each other down and glaring, staring, like a moth to the flame the hurricane will try and find a low (in this case the trof) it will try to go north but the high will try and stop it.. Florida may get in it's way.

What more would you like me to say? Pictures say it all and tonight there really are no words. I'm calm. A bit lonely, my boyfriend went back to North Carolina and my older kids are back in Iowa, New York and Ottawa and my younger kids are in bed. Dinner was delicious. I went to Publix with my best friend Sharon and talked storms and life. I'm okay today. I will be okay tomorrow though busy fielding non stop "what if" questions from friends. Monday night I may feel like vomiting though if the cone doesn't move a bit to the north or south. Being honest...

Watch the water vapor loop.... for clues and keep watching those models.

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

From Miami 5 days away from a possible rendezvous with Ike!



Sweet dreams... Bobbi

Ps... Josephine is still not dead.................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home