Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Problem With Winter Storms...



Winter Hype 2016 Has Begun. 
Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!
Winter is indeed here. 
It may have been 75 Degrees in NY in December.
Cherry Blossom Trees were blooming.
But January ushered in the real deal.

The image above really shows my life.
I live in Raleigh it seems because it's halfway between Miami and NYC.
Seriously it does feel like that at times.
And I have a confession to make.
I'm in Miami for the blizzard that is going to bury DC, Philly & NY.

What Raleigh will or won't get is uncertain.
It's always uncertain.
Massive Snow?
Ice Storm?
Freezing Rain?
No storm?
Baby Storm?

Hard to say as the storm has yet to form.
When it does form it gives a first punch fast.
By later tonight we will know and I'll write more.

From Virginia to the tip of Long Island .... it's winter.
And someone is going to get a storm to remember.

A bigger problem is shown below and not being talked about much.
This storm system may carry a great deal of severe weather in the South.


Spring like weather in the heart of Dixie. 
Could happen.
And I don't mean spring as in butterflies and daffodils.
I mean trouble ....
I mean problems..

The problem with winter storms is they are harder to forecast than major hurricanes. Sometimes a day or even less before the storm hits it's in stealth mode on satellite imagery. On Friday the storm will be apparent in this loop below, but on Thursday morning it looks like just another fun in the sun day in Miami and a wear your winter coat day in New York.

sat_ir_enh_east_loop-12.gif (640×512)


To be honest it's a blizzard.
The BIG news here is that WINTER IS BACK!

Sort of like Frank Sinatra in From Here to Eternity.



Frank Sinatra was on his way to being a has been and he got the supporting role in a movie when the critics said his career was down the toilet. He was no longer a matinee idol with young girls swooning at concerts. He played a role in a movie and he was suddenly back.


Epic Winter Storms are made in the rear view mirror.
Not by hype on Drudge or Accuweather or TWC.

Note Mike on Spaghetti Models known often for tropical weather...
...does winter weather and storm alerts quite well.

He was one of the few to warn on the Florida tornadoes last week.

So I give you Mike's site while I wander today under the palm trees.


There is a winter storm guide.
Snow guide.
And a reminder that this system can bring more than just snow.

I had decisions to make. 
That's life as Frankie sings.

My son is one of the sponsors of the Avenue J Music Festival.
In Coconut Grove...

http://www.avenuejfestival.com/

So... here I am with family missing the big winter storm...


I'll be reporting back later as the storm itself actually brews.
As for me... getting a real Cuban Coffee for breakfast.

I do advise anyone in the path of the storm to..

prepare for the worst...
...hope for the best.

I'll be back later today with more updates.

Besos BobbiStorm


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home