Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Freeze Possible In South Florida.. Actic Cold On The Way

No one seems to be sure how cold it will get but with wind chills it will possibly be in the 20s. That for anywhere is cold, but for South Florida that is frigid.

Tuesday Night is calling for winds 25 to 30 mph as a cold front blows through, an Artic Cold front.

Crystal Lake, Minnesota is having temps of 22 degrees tomorrow. That is not much colder than Wednesday morning will be when the sun comes up, the cold sets in and the winds create a wind chill effect.

I'm hoping for snow flakes personally but they are not in the forecast (duh) but well.. hope springs eternal I say and it would be a sign.. perfect someone if we had snow flakes in Florida.

Here is the current forecast from the NWS. Take your plants in, stay warm, bundle up and wear layers.. or your suede boots if you have them ;)

"THE COLDEST AIR TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS
WINDS BECOME CALM WHILE A HIGH OF ARCTIC ORIGIN RIDGES INTO THE
AREA FROM THE NORTHWEST. THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A BETTER
POSSIBILITY OF FREEZING TEMPERATURES ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF
INTERIOR SOUTH FLORIDA WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY THURSDAY
MORNING. LOWS BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING ARE FORECAST TO FALL INTO
THE LOWER 30S INTERIOR...MID TO UPPER 30S ELSEWHERE...EXCEPT LOWER
40S SOUTHEAST COAST."

As for me I have been busy this past week and not around for numerous reasons but one of those reasons is that a close friend of my family died. He was 19, just 19. We have been friends with his parents, his siblings and him for ages..way before he was born. I got married the same year as his mother and father, we got divorced around the same time.. we had kids the same age so that multiple children were best friends with multiple siblings or close friends. We have witnessed each other's lives and now sadly we have witnessed death was well.

He was a vibrant, strong, funny, deep, soulful and a kid... a fun kid who suddenly became ill, didn't feel good. Went to ER with an inability to breathe well.. was tested, was released, was told to rest and stay in bed, got a high fever, went back to the hospital, was put in ICU for FOUR days while they tried to figure out what was wrong with him. On the day he died it became pretty apparent it was Acute Leukemia of some kind. His body simply shut down, his blood unable to work properly, he went on a respirator, his kidneys failed, we prayed.. oh I prayed so much. I am so close with his older brother who is like one of my kids and I didn't want to see my friend lose her son, his brother lose him... my kids and all the kids who loved him go through and yet... they did. He didn't make it. Anyone I asked to say prayers for him I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And, I ask you to do some good deed in his memory .. give charity to the charity of your choice, help someone you know needs help, go visit an older relative in a nursing home or just go visit nice older people in a nursing home. Volunteer your time to some organization that needs people to help on a walk or a rally or in a soup kitchen. Do some good deed in Eli's memory please. No, it won't bring him back but it will be something he can't do as he is no longer here and someone, somewhere needs help.. so help out. Please.

We had a funeral, my kids and friends have been making Shiva calls and just sitting around remembering Eli, celebrating life and trying to move on.

I've been a little too numb to post, to think or to function in a normal enough way as to post a post on my blog. But, I didn't want anyone to think I ran off to Raleigh and am no longer around because I am engaged. Nope. Am here.. somewhere, just getting back to the every day rhythm of life and I really want to thank all those who have helped in their own way.

The rhythm of life is an amazing thing.... we live, we love, we die, we fade away or we burn out like a meteor crashing through the atmosphere or slowly like the embers of the fire in the campfire that he and his brother and my kids make in the back yard. Little embers, sparking up.. glowing, fading away.

Enjoy life... enjoy those you love and who love you. Love is always good. Love endures.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43538739300&ref=ts

This is a site for Eli made on facebook... shows a little of who he was and his legacy.

As for me... I am working on my wedding plans. I registered..more on that another day. I have a date. I have a place. Now I need invitations. It will be late February so we won't have to worry about it being delayed by an impending hurricane. Years ago, after Hurricane Andrew.. Eli's brother Moshe was having his bar mitzvah in August of 1992. The Omni Hotel called up his mother who is the caterer of caterers and told her that they had an unexpected guest coming to his bar mitzvah.. one she couldn't simply feed with extra food like she usually does. The whole thing was put off, food was lost, power was out... it was a BIG bar mitzvah. His bris had been put off by some weather event as well..have a baby in the hurricane season ya know? So, the first time we left Miami Beach at night during the curfew was to travel across the Bay, past the police barricade, show our ID and have a delayed bar mitzvah. People were thrilled... was the first time any of us had real food in over a week, we danced, we laughed.. was sort of almost Gatsby like crazy to have such a party while much of South Florida was still digging out. Eli was a baby running around, his mother announced she had so many delayed events for Moshe that when he got married she would wait until just before and call everyone. It's one of my most vivid after Andrew memories was that party at the Omni.. a few weeks late and then driving back across the Venetian Causeway, showing our ID and back to Miami Beach exhausted but happy to be back at the rhythm of life. And, I remember a few years back when we went to the Deauville Hotel and danced at Eli's Bar Mitzvah.

Memories made with friends over time marking the special moments of our lives.

Telling you all now.. enjoy life, be happy...dance like no one is watching (or is watching) and like there is no tomorrow..and do acts of loving kindness!

Love my friends... they help make me who I am and help put smiles on my face such as I had today ;)

Thanks.. Besos Bobbi
Ps... Raleigh is going to get 4 inches of snow and I am here not there.. not fair!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home