Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Friday, April 03, 2020

2020 Hurricane Season. Planning for Covid-19 or Hurricane Season.. If You Fail to Plan ..Do You Plan to Fail?


Last night my nightly weather guy went there.
Wes is good. 
From his home not in the studio....
...doing his job telling the weather news.
Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly

These are the names we will get to know.
One forecast says we will have 16 named storms.

This morning my Spectrum News went there.
So really it's time to go there in the blog.
All of us have been whispering around it for a while.



I've really tried putting this off.
Normally I talk on it early.
But we don't live in easy times.
I don't want to scare anyone.
I want you to be aware tho... 

The forecast for 2020 is for a busy season.
An active season with multiple Major Canes.
Figures huh?
Is what it is so let's remember that.

I've told my friends talking on this feels like..
...screaming fire in a crowded theater right now sadly.

And yet people need to remember it's coming.
And we will be dealing with Covid and Canes.
Hopefully they will stay out at sea...
Long tracking storms becoming fish storms.
We can pray... 
.... but stay prepared.

I'm going to keep this short today more or less. I knew when everyone in my family WhatsApp group began asking me about "the forecast" I had to talk on it here and I've been putting it off because people are so afraid right now about the lives of their families and loved ones I don't want to pour oil on the fire to make you worry about losing the very homes that you are hiding in from the virus. Long run off sentence I know, but this episode in our lives has been a long, run on sentence with no rhyme or solution since one case turned up in Washington State on our side of the Pacific.



https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/04/how-black-sunday-shaped-future-hunting-and-fishing/

Mother Nature has a propensity for hitting us with crap at the worst possible time and so we need to be prepared all the time for a landfalling tropical system. A case in point or two would be one of the worst dust storms on Palm Sunday in 1935 and later that year the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. Mother Nature didn't seem to care if we were going through a Depression and that Dust Storms had brought death, destruction and desolation to the Plains nor did it care if people had gone out for nice picnics to celebrate Labor Day the same year when a tidal wave crashed across the Florida Keys and the Storm Surge swept picnic goers away.


 And, currently we should all have the house stocked up in necessities and dry good, non-perishable food products that would be as helpful if you lose power because a hurricane hit a town up the road yet you got hit harder than you had hoped. That's always the best case scenario that you prepare and it goes somewhere else or it hits close by and you lost power but not your roof or home or your car. We prepare for Tropical Storms, Category 1 and 2 hurricanes and often we can ride out a Category 3 but Category 4s or 5s... are best prepared for by locking up the house with shutters and getting out of town if that is feasible. Spoiler Alert ...for many reasons that is not always feasible and you have to do the best you can to get through it alive. Kind of like what we are currently going through in April of 2020 two months before the official start of the Hurricane Season. Will it start early this year? It's very possible, but we will talk on that later as May gets closer and we hopefully have a vaccine or a drug for Covid-19. 


The link is below.
If you have time on your hands...
..and want distraction from the news.
You can spend some time reading it for yourself.


I'll discuss it in depth down the road.
I have to go bake Challah for Shabbos.
Because not going to the store or bakery.
So baking today.
Watching the news.
Twitter Feed scrolling.
Listening to things to keep my mind fresh.
Music, classes online and all that jazz.

A good friend online posted this..
..he's one of the best when it comes to details.
And the devil is always in the details.
So you got to stay 5 steps ahead of the devil always.
How? By having a plan.
Years ago a WW leader used to remind us:
"if you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
Kept that saying in my notebook for years.
True in life and with regard to hurricanes.

Make a plan, stick to the plan.
Revise the plan if necessary.
Do the best you can.
You gotta do what you gotta do..



Worth reading and thinking on.
You need to go to the store on Sunday?
Why? Every day is Sunday.
Go on the slower days.. 
Pick a "slow" time.
Have a list, get in... get out.
Then decontaminate as best as you can.
It's not just about washing your hands.

As for me I'm going offline this evening.
I do my Jewish Sabbath thing.
It's a nice bubble to breathe a bit...
No NY Gov. updates at 11 AM.
I live in NC but have kids in NY.
You know what I mean.

I'll be talking on hurricanes again Sunday.
And Monday with some other forecasts.
My problem is everyone has the same forecast.
A busy season...
Seems Covid-19 scared off El Nino..
..and he hit the road.

Stay safe and stay healthy, 
Besos BobbiStorm
@bobbistorm on Twitter and Instagram.

Ps... Remembering having Shabbos Guests over.
When I lived in LA and worked for Chabad...
...often had 20 or 30 people at our table.
Crowded Temples, walking home together ...
... crowds at the wall in Jerusalem.
A Passover Concert at the Fountaibleau on MB 
A room full of people singing along.
Singing this song...


At a concert with a friend a few years back.
Kids singing, dancing together in the audience.

Or these incredible guys...
My friend's sons.
Knew them as children.
Talented in love with music.
Helping kids with courage...
...and music and love.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home