Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Tracking Quakes & Waiting for Severe Weather



So, as I sit here thinking on last night's Oscars and wondering what to eat for breakfast the thought occurs to me.... "this is what has become of my life" :(

A certain weather friend has hijacked the weather boards to talk geology non-stop, we are now watching quake profiles on radar imagery.

Reminds me a lot of 1996 and 1997 when the old AOL Message Boards were connected by the same people trying to prove Earthquake Weather and Hurricane History was connected in some way. Now, I am not going to argue the fact that in both South Carolina and Jamaica there have been earthquakes that hit almost in tandem with tropical events so there may be a method to his mad genius but he ain't winning any Oscars anytime in the near future. Not unless he is using a pen name I am not aware of... and he is definitely capable of winning any darn award he wants.

But, this is about me and not my crazy friend.

To be clear.... there is a lot of latent, buried energy in Arkansas near the New Madrid Fault Line System that is about to go SHAKE RATTLE AND BOOM and we are already at 4.7 as of today. We went one whole day without a quake in Arkansas and instead of the quake strength going down we went UP. Which is par for the course, as typical a show of buried energy needing to break through the surface as any Geology 101 professor can use an example of a fault line that is extremely active

Check this out below:
4.7 Earthquake which is closer to 5.0 than 4.0 as my mathematical father would have pointed out were he still here to point it out.

Magnitude
4.7
Date-Time
Monday, February 28, 2011 at 05:00:50 UTC
Sunday, February 27, 2011 at 11:00:50 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location
35.265°N, 92.344°W
Depth
3.8 km (2.4 miles)
Region
ARKANSAS
Distances
6 km (4 miles) NE (46°) from Greenbrier, AR
7 km (4 miles) S (187°) from Guy, AR
9 km (6 miles) SE (128°) from Twin Groves, AR
59 km (37 miles) N (359°) from Little Rock, AR
418 km (260 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters
NST= 14, Nph= 20, Dmin=3 km, Rmss=0.18 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=B
Source

Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network

Now, fault lines are sort of like crazy people, no I don't mean the mentally challenged ... I mean the brilliant genius types that try to fit into societies rules and regulations and do what they are told they should do but their unique genius bubbles through and burst out fast and furious and everyone wonders why they just can't be "normal" ????

They can't be normal because they are artistic, intellectual, amazingly brilliant geniuses that need to shine and show their talent and creativity the same way the earth needs to go shake, rattle and roll.

Energy has to go somewhere....

We are set for tremors of the atmospheric kind today across the Eastern part of the USA as a storm system that produced tornadoes yesterday has the potential to produce more today... it's all a matter of timing. If the system comes through like Sherman's Army at the hottest part of the day the cold, fast air will slam into the warm, humid air and whamo we will get severe weather.

Not sure what causes earthquakes to decide to go pop in the geological night.

Maybe it is sunstorms and the sun is stormin' right now.... shooting off batches of plasma towards the earth's atmosphere and well... if you think we are too far away to be affected by some silly old plasma flare don't look up at the Northern Lights if you live in Denmark.

(wow I am good, someone, somewhere is loving this...)

So....what did I think of the Oscars? I loved it. It wasn't the best show, it wasn't the worst show. A lot of people nominated that no one knows who they were and a lot of people wondering who Anne Hathaway and James Franco are this morning as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Hathaway_(actress)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Franco

Everyone looked beautiful, no streakers, no boring political rants, no long musical segments that make great bathroom breaks for the musically challenged.

I'm sorry.... Elizabeth Taylor is in a hospital room sick and quite frankly old. I love her, but she's old. Kirk Douglas was old but luckily alive and kicking at the show. Billy Crystal looked old, but that's okay cause I decided I am aging pretty good and didn't feel too bad and he is still witty and funny, face a little puffy and his hair too dark but his style didn't miss the mark.

The kids from New York were great, but they should have worn fancier duds but I guess that is what makes them the kids from the school in NY... their tee shirts.



And, I sort of liked James Franco in drag, I mean obviously I'm dumb enough to play along with someone dumber in drag as history as shown so I kinda get the comedy there. I mean I really think it's time to do a remake of Some Like It Hot and I don't think James Franco or anyone could have pulled off the see through, peek a boo gown Marilyn wore in that movie and how topical can you get considering the quake today was really close to Little Rock, Ark ;) so.... Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend worked just perfect.

So, now that we have tied up all of this into a one neat ball of wax ...the big question remains...

What am I making for Fat Tuesday???
www.weightwatchers.com has a few suggestions...
(my Grandma Mary lived in Nawlins when she was young, Garden District... I know from Fat Tuesday though when she was young they locked her up so she'd stay safe from the voodoo queens... really, honest...)

And, are we getting Severe Weather Today???
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?region=default

As for me, trying to decide where I will be in 3 days but that needs to wait until I ask the Magic 8 Ball the question later.

What precipitated this rambling rant??

I miss hurricanes, I miss football and I miss something else or someone else obviously but will deal with that tomorrow. March 1st... 3 months to the Hurricane Season and having problems getting into Spring Training and old movies and got a lot on my little, complicated mind.

So.... enjoy the weather because it's the weather you got not the only weather you got because you can put on Twister and watch funnel clouds drop out of the sky over the open plains or you can make a funnel cake. Your choice... your call.

My call would be to stop trying to reinvent what got you here but reinvent yourself and always stay new, funny, smart, bright and no I am NOT talking about Joe Bastardi giggling.

I still think the idea of a remake of Some Like It Hot is a whole lot funnier than the Three Stooges but who am I to say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I

Besos Bobbi
Ps... Extra Credit Question?
"Will there be another earthquake in Arkansas??"

Answer: Yes. For Sure.

Little Rock Links:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVtgb_47dKg

1 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

while i wrote that there blog, another quake was registered in Arkansas... tick tock, tick tock

Bobbi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home