Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Day .... Travel or Not to Travel ...THAT is the Question

For me I am home... came home a while back for another family event and stayed for the holidays. Sounds strange that I "came home" but I travel a lot these days between grandkids and kids and in that in between time in my life. Not put out to the farm just yet and not building a family either. One of those young, sort of sexy grandma's who enjoy life and this stage in it.

Miami, is as always, a tropical city filled with tropical themes to the holidays and a diversity that is not seen in Des Moines Iowa or North Carolina... not even in Virginia. Walgreens has the aisles stocked with dreidels and hanukah menorahs and chanukah games all spelt differently but no matter how you spell it... it's Chanukah :)

But, before we get to Chanukah we have Thanksgiving. Turkey and stuffing and all the fixings and about four different pies for dessert. The weather outside is beautiful, stunningly beautiful. Taking long walks at night under the stars with the palm fronds blowing in the wind. I taught my grandson who lives in Ames to say "palm tree" so he understands these are not just any old trees.

No big blizzards or late season hurricanes to mess up the holidays. Going to sleep late (not interested in those Black Friday sales... I dislike crowds) and am going to pick out pajamas from Victoria Secrets which come with the little booties for when your footsies are cold. I might watch a parade or take a walk with my son or my daughter up the canal or on Hollywood Boardwalk. Breakfast with my best friend? The possibilities are endless.

I'm rambling, because truth is one of my best friends died on Thanksgiving so it's always a little difficult for me. And, the Mumbai Massacre happened on Thanksgiving in America... and well I have great memories of Thanksgiving past with my Aunt and Uncle. But... my sister in law is cooking, my guy is carving, she is making steamed veggies for me or roasted and it's good to be with family.

So.... is it worth traveling or not?

Sometimes I think the best thing we could do for such days is to go down to the beach, get a few rooms, bake a turkey in advance, cut it up... make some side salads, some good drinks, some fun desserts and just go swimming like the natives do. I'm a Beach girl..that's the truth of it. Lived two blocks from the beach for about 20 years of my life... my answer to anything is lets get a room somewhere by the beach and...

Air Travel? I know I will when I have to but I am not looking forward to it. Truth is there are some people who are raised with beliefs that leave being touched in private parts for your family, doctors or I suppose child molesters who get put away in jail. Not something a stranger at an airport who got a HomeLand Security job is supposed to do and I do not believe it is going to stop an attack, it's just plain stupid. Ridiculous... the next bomber will not have it in his underwear or his shoe but somewhere else... no two terrorists are the same as no two hurricanes are the same.

If your idea of being at home and relaxing... stay home, stay in your PJs, watch the parade and old movies and eat frozen dinners with pumpkin yogurt for breakfast and frozen dinners with stuffing and pumpkin pie... if you need family, sometimes ya gotta travel.

Either way enjoy the holiday, enjoy whatever you do and enjoy your weather.

Here's a link...

http://www.snowmancam.com/

We are moving into weather and I am watching Gaylord the Snowman from my home in Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___lTKpFBrY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home