Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sad News: Bob Burpee Passes Away


I opened my email after lunch and received an email from a friend at HRD that said "sad news" and I was afraid to click on it because I was sure someone had passed on.

I've received emails that asked for prayers.. but "sad news" is indeed sad news.

Bob Burpee passed away early this morning. He had been ill for a while. Still... very sad.

Bob was Director of the National Hurricane Center from 1995 to 1997. He took the job when Bob Sheets retired and Jerry Jarrell was the man who replaced Bob Burpee.

He had an amazing career that went back way before he took control of the NHC and he has many friends there and around the country who will cherish their memories and mourn his loss.

Very sad. I know people at both NHC and HRD feel badly today.
I know I do.

I saw him last summer at the Hurricane Hunters Reunion at NHC/HRD and he looked old, frail and not 64 but much older.

He will be missed.
Bobbi

Services may be on Friday.. awaiting final information and confirmation. I'm sure there will be much written online.

The pic is from his days at NHC when Andrew in the background on the computer monitor was heading our way..

You know there are some people.. men and women who were involved in the old Weather Service (Noaa is really only a bit over 30) who worked in research, flew planes, progged storms by hand and were involved in seeding projects and other projects to try and help protect our lives and gain more knowledge about hurricanes..they are heroes.. amazing heroes. Unsung heroes.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hurricane_Center

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home