Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Miami... Piano On a Sandbar and Pink Islands and Pelicans



This is one of those things that I absolutely love about Miami. A grand piano shows up on a sandbar over night and becomes a perch for pelicans and it is just assumed in the Miami area that it is some form of performance art.

"It's probably something like the Pink Project..... " was my first thought when my brother called me up to tell me.



Truth is...it was the first thing that occurred to him too...which is why I LOVE Miami.

Of course, there were other thoughts it seems....

Model shoot, music video being filmed in the middle of the bay. Someone smuggled a dead body or drugs in on it and dumped in it the bay off of a yacht. Note, people in Miami have such wonderfully creative minds ;)

So...point is we don't know where it came from or where it was supposed to go or if it just drifted in on the tide... stranger things have happened.

My family comes from Key West, where scavenging was raised to a high art for in the 1800s when the number way of attaining fine goods was to hope a ship "just happened" to wreck itself upon the reefs and everyone would either swim out to check out the sale items that Nature provided or walk the beach in the morning to see if there was any good silk or furniture that came in on the tide...

Time will tell with this one.

Of course, as a weather enthusiast my first thought was "How strong would a wave have to be to take the piano off the bar and out to sea?" I mean, the Coast Guard does not seem to care but if it was hurricane season and a Category Four was bearing down on Miami would we worry what happens to the piano on that sandbar or just wait and see what else floats in on the tide?

After the 1926 Great Miami Hurricane a Piano from one of the grand, beach front hotels nearby found it's way, along with some very nice lobby furniture, into the Collins Canal.

See? It's not the first time Miami has had floating pianos in the water :)

Probably won't be the last.

Love the way this city views the unusual or the exotic or just plain strange... with a smile, a joke and a sense of romantic wonder.

I know last night's strong weather didn't budge it and from what I heard this morning the pelicans were out sunbathing on top of the piano in question oblivious to the media hype and the mystery. They don't care why it's there... they are just happy to have a place to rest themselves on while sunbathing a bit.

I imagine by the time the hurricane season rolls around this mystery will be solved or they will make a movie about, that's the way things go in Miami ;)

Besos Bobbi

5 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

I saw on the news tonight that it was a teenage prank and the authorities made them remove it. Great story, wasn't it?

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so jeolous I can't see straight, I can type straight. Whats up with the word verify, I love the way they move it around. NO am NOT TRIPPIN.
:)
My brain just thinks it is.
Going now, on to idk somewhere, not hitting fb much lately, really have to watch myself, my mother n law was right. I am fragile in certain aspects, they are called - children. Nothing I can do but let them grow up and hope I can blog about them one day as you do. hey ya Bobbi. Hanging in. Minute by minute.
me

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger BobbiStorm said...

see the blog for my thoughts on pranks, pink snails and piano bars :)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

K. Got the piano bar and the prank (which is awesome, great photo shoot, find any furniture? Lost on the pink snails. Gotta think.
Not tonight.
;)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger BobbiStorm said...

will give you a hall pass on thinking tonight

how'z that?

i think the word verify is speaking yiddish....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home