Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Friday, November 05, 2010

Hurricane Tomas Moving NE @ 10 MPH


I sure wish he'd pick up some speed, the faster he goes the easier it is for those in his path.

Waking up this morning, watching coverage of Hurricane Tomas on the television and it occurs to me again and again how I would take a hurricane over an earthquake anytime. You can prepare, you can have some small semblance of a sense of control. Nothing is more unsettling than to feel the earth move and I am not talking about a Carole King song. Seriously, the one thing we rely on is the ground is solid beneath our feet, the sun rises and sets as does the moon but when suddenly there are little circles in your coffee and hanging plants begin to sway without a breeze in the sky and the floor beneath you shakes... that is scary indeed. As someone who has lived in L.A. and West Hollywood... would most definitely say I would take a hurricane anytime over an unexpected strong earthquake. Either way they need help so please donate. Pick your charity of choice or find a group who actively works with sending aid to Haiti.


www.redcross.org

As for track...it really doesn't matter that much unless he intensifies so rapidly that he wraps all of the moisture into a small, little ball moving 25 mph forward speed through the Windward Passage.

After Cuba and Haiti...where does he go?

Turks and Caicos and then it gets murky. Either he becomes tangled up in the trough and becomes a baroclinic system and it out of here fast or he lingers around a while.

Keep watching. Dig into your pockets and donate what you can. Stay safe and have a good weekend and be glad you are not threatened with life or death issues like many in Haiti are this tropical morning.

Besos Bobbi
Ps....again info on Tomas is below, current as of 8 AM.

LOCATION...18.8N 74.7W
ABOUT 80 MI...130 KM SSE OF GUANTANAMO CUBA
ABOUT 160 MI...255 KM W OF PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...135 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 35 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...16 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB...29.15 INCHES

5 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Take a real good look at that eye, metaphorically speaking of course, Thomas has the resolve of a donkey doing his doo doo, see - doo doo is messy, so are weather events, as much as I love and adore some weather events, this particuliar one may be front page material, we all hope not, and I'm not saying that outloud, nope, not even going there. I can go anywhere I want but not there. I'm sorry again Bobbi, I seemed to have missed the music again, still have Neil Young on, do over again, I mean it is after 11am - right?
Word Verify==turd=going now.........

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger BobbiStorm said...

you are scatalogical ... you know that right? blemplin, sounds like something a dead chicken would drop (that was my word) well not in the mood for some sappy love song and let me think on it. Of course you miss the music, you sent it to me silly (I kept the tape)

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love being scatalogical, its healing- looks like T is heading for another little island, I can't recall the name - I can do this though-
crant-oh gotta run its after midnight, Cinderella needs to third step it, and brb!
PS. Which song from Cowboy Mouth?
Of course I didn't remember it, I'm an cranky old recovering every...

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger BobbiStorm said...

I'm not telling... you obviously did not keep a copy (strange) of the songs or the cover of the cassette tape (tape haha) sounded a lot like Mary Had A Little Lamb :P

word: cychol?? seriously, how do you do this word verification thingie.

Will deal with Tomas tomorrow...

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger BobbiStorm said...

ps scatalogically silly but oh so spiritual too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home