Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Weather, Life and Heroes

Scroll down for the weather if you aren't interested in musing..

I have the TV on this morning and it's explaining to me the economy is falling apart and it's explaining to me that the campaigns of both candidates are basically in a free fall towards an election date in November. Obama is leading but he isn't really saying much or doing much and is playing prevent defense which readers of this column will know I hate. McCain is doing what he does best, old NFL football, trying to pick up yardage. Biden has been quiet, something about a death in the family which is sad but should he become President someday I would expect him not to disappear and Palin is either sinner or saint depending on your party affiliation it seems.

I like her. Let me go on record and think the way she is trashed is sexist as terms used to describe her by people who don't agree with her or who aren't Pro-Life would never use those words about a man. I'm sorry. It's true. And, she stands up for her beliefs and that is indeed what America is and that is our right in America to hold different beliefs from the state.

And, I campaigned for Kerry and I was harassed by thugs who were working on Bush's campaign and now when I am not campaigning for Obama I am harassed by my die hard democratic friends and told how old McCain is and who stupid Palin is...

She is neither stupid nor dumb she is one smart... woman. She manages to stay married to what appears to me to be a darn handsome man though admittedly I am predisposed to like Native American Men and has a large family (also like me ) and likes doing her hair and wearing heels and doesn't seem to feel she cannot dress and act like a woman and go out into the world and make a difference. She can walk and talk and think on her feet faster than Obama or McCain if you ask me however many here don't like what she says. That is your right. But, she is a great role model to me for my daughters because it shows them that they can go out and be both beautiful and smart. That to me is a BIG PLUS for women no matter what you believe on Pro-Choice or States Rights or the Best Way to Get Out of Iraq.

And, I agree with Bill Clinton who still continually amazes me every day. Not only can he speak and stir people's emotions and intellect.

Clinton said the other day in an interview he is tired of people defaming politicians running for office. Why can't people simply look at the views, platforms and choose, decide and vote. Why do they have to speak negatively about the candidate they support. It was a long speech and I am too pressed for time to google or youtube it but it's out there. He thought all 4 people on the platform were smart, intelligent people but it's about choosing the platform you believe in the most.

That to me is the bottom line with this election.

Anyone can point out what is wrong with this country. Obama inspires. McCain has experience. Palin has real potential. Biden has had a lifetime of work in the senate as has McCain. Read the bios. Read the platforms. Make a decision and let's GET ON with this whole process. I'd say move on but don't want to be accused of joining Rob Reiner's party. (giggling, private joke, haha)

This country has problems. We have cars that burn on gas that we shouldn't be burning to begin with.. If the big automakers go down maybe it will be because they are part of the Greed Game.. big oil, big gas guzzlers and how many people..single men do I know who are out there riding the newer better bigger vans. Can someone explain THAT to me? Is that a sign of machoness or what? If you are a soccer mom or father than I can understand. I see more young men driving around in these big vehicles supporting countries overseas. What is so friggin wrong with a car that fits you and possibly your date or your dog or your pals? Why can't people take the bus places? Why can't people ride a bike? Walk?

Why do we have to live so far away from our jobs? Why do we have to drive half way across the state to shop at IKEA or spend our lives in Walmart instead of some small neighborhood store? Where have all the neighborhood stores gone? Where have all the small jobs gone? Overseas. Outsourced. I have to call T-Mobile today and pray I get someone who doesn't apologize ten times in the conversation, use the word "actually" fifteen times and then tell me his name is "SHAWN" yeah right, Shawn with an Indian accent.. Pakistan or the ever popular Iceland. Help!

We need a hero and unfortunately none have shown up this year and the market is in a free fall that I think is more panic generated than anything else but then panic drives the car that the gas companies make money from..

We need to stop, breathe and think.

And, a good hero would help.

Wanna know two heroes I have this year in the not so political realm?

Ronnie Brown.. for his energy and hard work that has helped spark the Dolphins Comeback and I'm sorry he got fined $10,000 for his little short, small victory dance that neither taunted the other team or was a big distraction during the game. It made my game.. it made the Dolphins better and do we really in this economy need to fine a pepped up player $10,000 for doing the smallest dance in the endzone after scoring? Why not make him do community service hours supporting some charity?

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/south-florida-sun-sentinel/TJRC07BI4H849VD3I


Nicole Mitchell for being one of the best weather people on TV and IN the air when she flies into the eye of the storm.

http://www.weather.com/aboutus/television/ocms/mitchell.html

As for the WEATHER PART ... we are in a transition. There are some yellow areas out there high lighted by the NHC but ... not sure if they will develop and if they do if they will turn out to be anything. We'll see. It rained, the windows are open and the air feels different.

I'm going to work.. just leaving you with this thought... we need a hero, a real hero in actions and deeds not just in inspiration. Inspiration may turn the engine on but the car needs gas to drive .. until we find a way to work with electricity or magnets or something... we are a big smart country, this shouldn't be sooo hard!

We need a hero in this country and a hero with morals, with a plan and with a purpose because we are in a holding pattern until we find one... with the economy, with terrorism, with a need for new energy forms and with so many things I can't even list like cities too big and our infrastructure too large .. we need a hero. Here's hoping to you finding a hero in your life and not talking just politically... or meteorologically!




As for me.. hoping you all have a good sweet year and all your prayers were answered. Even Rob Reiner :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home