Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hurricane Dolly Recap & Bits of News

Hurricane Dolly made landfall near South Padre Island this afternoon around 2pm.

Not much I have to add and am too tired to add it even if I could think.

Beautiful pinwheeling storm and a lot of damage, trees down, hopefully nothing too much structurally though tomorrow will tell the tale. Some flooding. We'll see.

Great video of Cantore doing what he does best. Standing in a Cane screaming..

Interesting story here for those interested in the human side of things. I have a son Zalmy in Orlando in a similar camp and thought to myself a few times when I planned to send him away ... "could a hurricane hit while he is at camp?"

I have a son Levi who was away in camp in NY State one summer and they walked on the Jewish Sabbath to some small temple in a nursing home every week to help with Sabbath prayers. He called me up one Sunday and asked me to send him new sneakers. Seems they walked on Saturday (the shabbos) and it turned into a several hour hike through nonstop rain. The sneakers were near shredded. I said, "you walked thorugh a hurricane!" Who knew? (Obviously not him) Hurricane Bob, outer bands.. Was years back before every camp is online and you can text news in and out. The old days. But.. hurricane season comes and down south we think on these things and obviously should up north as well. The lady at the post office who helped me get the sneakers into a Priority Mail Bag asked why I was sending him sneakers. I said, "he walked through Hurricane Bob!" Should have seen her face........

So...this is a good story on how a camp had to evacuate and imagine a few parents of any religious denomination can imagine having your kids evacuated during a hurricane.




"A camper from Camp Gan Israel of South Padre Island takes a look at the sky before leaving the Texas coast in advance of the approaching Hurricane Dolly."

http://www.chabad.org/news/article_cdo/aid/705210/
jewish/Hurricane-Dolly-Arrives.htm

As for me... my son Shuky and his wife gave birth to a baby boy in Postville, Iowa early this afternoon just as Dolly was coming ashore in Texas. So... guess my weatherboy son now has a weather baby :) I'll be going to Iowa for part of next week so if we can keep all hurricanes away from Miami until after I come back I'd really appreciate it!

Wow, am I tired. Fell asleep to Dolly spinning on radar last night. Today seemed forever, the storm edged slowly towards the coastline and I kept waiting for word from my son .. my little Shuky lol.. now I am going to bed.

Very cool, very exciting day.

Guess those kids will have a summer to remember and will tell over tales for years to come. Years back my ex-husband took the kids from Hebrew Acacemy in Long Beach CA to the Grand Canyon one President's Day weekend and they got snowed in with a rare blizzard. There was flooding in Arizona where they were, then they went to the Grand Canyon..snow! They got stuck at the El Cajon Pass with high winds and they wouldn't let the big camper go across. Was like the trip from hell... for the people planning it but they ended up putting the kids on an Amtrak to get them back to Long Beach, California and for years all the kids remembered from that long weekend was the snow and the train ride back. Kids in LA/Long Beach rarely see snow or trains. The parents were nuts... they called me when they heard about the flooding, they called me when they heard about the snow and then....the high winds. I was home with a baby and my best friend who had a baby the same week. Like one long slumber party :) we took phone calls from worried parents as our husbands tried to figure out how to get them safely back to Southern California.

Being a parent... happens in one long push when the baby comes out and one long gulp for air and then..................for the rest of your lives you are changed. You put on TWC and find out a strong line of storms with a hook and tornado warnings are headed for where your kid lives. You send kids to a sleepaway camp and hope they don't get a hurricane. You send kids skiing on a NCSY trip and get calls to be told their friend just passed them going down the mountain and landed with a broken leg and a broken arm. Or... you daughter calls from the clinic to say she went out of control and tumbled down the mountain and slammed into the line taking out 2 people.

Weather... always happening and you watch it just a little bit closer when you have kids of your own... which I suppose my son Shuky will have to start doing down the road.

Dolly really did the trick in the end didn't she? A late bloomer but she goes on record as a Category 2 Hurricane after a mediocre early existence where she kept trying to find her groove. Like the little engine that could she did!

Besos.. night... sweet dreams and mazel tov!
Bobbi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home