Hurricane Harbor

A writer and a tropical muse. A funky Lubavitcher who enjoys watching the weather, hurricanes, listening to music while enjoying life with a sense of humor and trying to make sense of it all!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Gulfport Damage ...Winn Dixie gone like places Camille took

From www.hurricanecity.com

Posted by jimw on 9/7/2005, 4:32 pmUser logged in as: jimw
Here is the video I took just 5 months ago from Pass Christian Mississippi, this whole area is totally devestated. I met many great people there that helped me to understand Camille, several of those homes in the first picture I knocked on the door to ask questions. One person said the surge came up to the door in Camille but the house held up but not this time, I hope they got out with thier dogs. http://www.hurricanecity.com/ram/camille.ram Next are the aftermath pictures from the video above, this first picture is where I filmed the hieght of camilles surge http://www.hurricanecity.com/images/katrinapasschristian.jpgthe second one is very dramatic as this is where the richleiu apts were destroyed and many died in camille. A winn dixie was built & this is all that is left of it. http://www.hurricanecity.com/images/katrinawinndixie.jpg

my response and the reason i am posting.. so you can see into the mind of a tracker.
on one level we watch and do tropical weather because we love it, it excites us, we love to learn, understand..watch, record.. but we do so also in the hopes that people learn, we improve..

we don't die in 2005 from hurricanes like we used to..
and we all weep, we are all crushed, probably more than the average person because we know better than others.. this really shouldn't have happened. really.

so I'm a little to stunned and numb still to blog much.

watching a redsox game with my friend, me and my shadow.. just the 2 of us, well 3 but anyway

and hiding from the news for a few hours.. CNN will send me a new email, (ecoli.. evacuations forced, not forced, dead in nursing home) and reading through board of the wierd today (guess someone has lost it now worse than I have......... and... this shouldn't have happened is all I keep thinking over and over and over...

read the national geographic from 2004... they had that fictional hurricane right down to the 9th ward flooding... ending quote.. chilling. Have to look through my blog and see if I posted it.

So.. forgive me if I can't blog much more than this tonight. And, watch the game with my friend and read t board...

This says my thoughts... or the ones I would post online.

Posted by bobbistorm on 9/7/2005, 5:28 pm, in reply to "dramatic pictures from Pass Christian,very sad.."User logged in as: Bobbistorm
For long time trackers, students of hurricanes this tragedy is almost more than we can bare as we are privy to so many details that it seems at times.. no one else knew. The reality and fragility of life along the coast and cities like New Orleans that have always been historically at high risk for a catastrophe.
Makes us feel like we have been watching this in slow motion...both before (worst fears) and after realizing our worst fears.
Knowing that whatever is built that close to the water.. the water will reclaim.
Knowing the atomic power that will be unleashed when a major cane comes onshore and studying in detail reports by the government and meterologists such as Neil Frank who has warned of such things.
And... such a hit to Miami Beach, Miami-Downtown, Tampa, Marco Island and any other place built at the water's edge can and will one day be reclaimed by the water.
A tragedy like New Orleans could have been prevented with evacuations and an improved levee system.
The destruction along the Gulf Shore..at water's edge could not.
No stopping such a storm surge.
Maybe.. that could be turned into a National or State Park to teach people about the destruction of Storm Surge.
Doubt it.. someone will build again. Hard to believe.. but they will.
Thanks Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home