Dolly Downgraded. Possibilities of Regeneation Down the Road..... Maybe. Or a Bit of Dolly Sparks a New Storm. Time Will Tell. Next Name Up Edouard! Hurricane History on Past Dolly & Edouard & My Thoughts on 2026 Hurricane Season
Wide view Atlantic Basin below.
You know we sailed into this Hurricane Season knowing a Super El Nino was developing and because of that our expectations were tempered by that very fact, so we did not expect a whole lot of strong hurricanes. There's always "that one" that pops up in such years, either interesting, intense or forgettable except for trackers and researchers. A life of tracking the tropics and chasing the ones you can leaves you a realist and as a lover of all things that spin weather wise be they a hurricane or otherwise I am going to track it, watch it and obsess a little more than the average person. I love weather. I love maps. I love research. I love history. This is who I am. I also love music and dance and the specifically the dance of the atmosphere on satellite imagery.
....off Carolina coast.
the 2026 Hurricane Season
This has been a rancid summer in the Carolinas, the type that led early settlers in the area to risk the threat of "West Indies Cyclones" and sit a bit down by the beach at a family cottage somewhere from OBX to Pawley's Island to Tybee Beach. Anywhere but inland with the red clay dirt baking and cracking and watching oaks and maples turn colors before their time due to the droughts that came with rancid summers in the South. They didn't know about El Nino then. They did not study it in depth in college getting degrees in Geopolitics where El Nino was a player politically early on as fishing fleets went out into contested waters that they may not have had the right to go into ... in search of fish. If you know you know but El Nino may save some from a landfalling major hurricane, but other places it causes drought, death and destruction. So temper your excitement over El Nino as it has a horrible downside you rarely see on your news apps. Just saying.
So I take what Mother Nature tosses at me this year and enjoy watching something that spins. I enjoy that it's a Named Storm Day even though it's not a Hurricane or something to chase close by and getting downgraded. So I'm not going to be nasty or bitchy and yes I am dreaming of Autumn in the Carolinas... a consolation gift from Mother Nature; a treasure disguised in golden colors and cool fresh air! I added Pumpkin Spice creamer to my coffee yesterday and smiled. It was good and it was an act of faith and belief in what will be as at some point Summer has an expiration date on it here. Even Lala bit the dust and the NHC stopped faithfully following it!
So where do we go from here? Some models show Dolly reforming and having a new lease on life closer in up the tropical road. Some do not. Then again being models they change their mind more than my daughter did at 5 years old as to which dress she wanted to wear. And, there's a wave behind it and one behind that one and at some point "please Dear God" there will be real fronts that dip down and then dawdle with their toes in the Gulf water on the Bahamas and sometimes in El Nino Years that is where we get our named storms from and or unusual Subtropical lows.
I have other hobbies you know. I also love Winter Storms and the possibility of snow. Go figure, after all these years I became crazy on snow. IYKYK so let's look ahead at the name Edouard and like all hurricane names one was memorable, and others were not.
Make some plans...


.gif)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home